Warning! Editing this pageset section will affect all pages on your website.

Parent Rights concerning Section 504

The following is a description of rights granted by federal law to parents of students who qualify for Section 504 accommodations.
You have the right to:

  • Have your child take part in and receive benefits from public education programs without discrimination based on a disability.

  • Have the school advise you of your rights under federal law.

  • Receive notice with respect to identification, evaluation, program or placement of your child.

  • Be involved before the initial evaluation and placement for services for your child. Written consent is not required; however, encouraging your involvement and support before the initial evaluation and placement for services is a priority.

  • Have your child receive a free appropriate public education that is the provision of related aid and/or specialized services, including the services of special educators and related professionals when the student does not otherwise qualify for special education. Related aids or services must be designed to meet the individual educational needs of your child as adequately as the needs of students without disabilities are met. This includes the right to be educated with non-disabled students and the opportunity to participate in school and school-related activities to the maximum extent appropriate.

  • Have your child educated in facilities and receive services comparable to those provided to students without disabilities.

  • Have your child evaluated for eligibility under Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), and if found eligible, receive special education and related services.

  • Have identification, evaluation, and educational placement decisions made based upon a variety of information sources, and by individuals who know the student, disability, evaluation data, and placement options.

  • Give your child an equal opportunity to participate in non-academic and extracurricular activities offered by the school.

  • Examine all relevant records relating to decisions regarding your child's identification, evaluation, educational program and placement.

  • File a complaint with the school if you feel your child is being discriminated against because of his/her disability.

  • Request the assistance of a mediator to help resolve issues with the school.

  • Request a due process hearing to help resolve issues with the school.

  • File a formal complaint with the regional Office for Civil Rights.