Cindy Marten is deeply committed to creating educational conditions and opportunities that enable all children to become actively literate, contributing and participating members of a democratic society who make a positive difference in the world. Her 25 years as an educator include teaching elementary grades as a classroom teacher and later, serving as a school-wide literacy specialist in the Poway Unified School District.
After participating in a seven-year improvement effort at a struggling school in Poway, Marten chose to take her experience to one of the most challenging schools in San Diego Unified — Central Elementary in City Heights— where she served for 10 years as teacher, instructional leader and principal.
At Central Elementary, Marten worked passionately at attracting and retaining high-quality, dedicated staff. She nurtured innovative programs to support her students and staff including: a highly successful bi-literacy program, a hands-on school garden program, quality after-school and preschool programs, employees’ child day care center, and a community health and wellness center for students and their families. Her team’s success was validated by steady and improved student achievement, which included an increase in the school’s Academic Performance Index (API). By 2012 it reached 788, just shy of the state target of 800.
As the district’s superintendent, Marten leads the district team and community with a singular focus on student success. She believes that there are no excuses when it comes to providing children with the very best conditions that will enable them to become confident, successful learners who can achieve their dreams. Marten is working with the Board of Education to implement Vision 2020, creating quality schools in every neighborhood throughout the district.
- University of Wisconsin, La Crosse – Bachelor’s Degree in Elementary Education
- University of California, San Diego – Master’s Degree in Curriculum and Instruction
Honors and Service
- City Heights CDC Community Advocate award
- Local Peacemaker Award for 2015
- San Diego County Bar Association Service Award for Distinguished Citizen 2013
- San Diego’s 10 Cool Women of 2013 Award from Girl Scouts San Diego
- San Diego County YMCA Principal of the Year Award 2012
- Highest Honor in Girl Scouts: The Gold Award
- International Reading Assn. Teacher Recognition for Reflective Writing and Teaching
- Published Author: Word Crafting: Teaching Spelling and Vocabulary, published by Heinemann
Office of the Superintendent
4100 Normal Street, Room 2219
San Diego, CA 92103