Mark Twain High School
TITLE 1 PARENT INVOLVEMENT POLICY WITH INTEGRATED
HOME/SCHOOL COMPACT 2016/2017
In the fall, an annual meeting will be held to share with parents a description of the Title 1 Program and its requirements
Mark Twain High School had developed a written Title 1 parent involvement policy with input from Title 1 parents. The beginning of the year parent meeting associated with the School Site Council has reviewed, edited and posted the 2016/2017 parent involvement/home-school compact.
The above policy is distributed to each parent during the orientation held for each student enrolling in Mark Twain High School.
The policy describes the means for carrying out the following Title1 parental involvement requirements [20 USC 6318 Section 1118 (a)-(f) inclusive].
Involvement of Parents in the Title 1 Program:
To involve parents in the Title 1 program at Mark Twain High School, the following practices have been established:
· The school convenes an annual meeting to inform parents of the Title 1 students about the Title1 requirements and about the right of parents to be involved in the Title 1 program. This is accomplished during each student’s orientation meeting done with the counselors and administration prior to enrollment of the student. Information is disseminated to parents during the beginning of the year parent night established each semester. The School Site Council (SSC) reviews all necessary information at the first meeting of the new school year and continually reviews procedures as the year progresses.
· Mark Twain High School offers a flexible number of meetings for the Title 1 parents, such as meetings in the morning (as needed), regularly scheduled SSC meetings, parent/counselor/student meetings (as needed), and regularly scheduled parent night meetings.
· Mark Twain High School involves parents of the Title1 students in an organized, ongoing, and timely way in the planning, review and improvement of the school’s Title 1 programs and Title 1 parent involvement policy. This is accomplished by the review of the Site Plan for Student Achievement (SPSA), School Safety Plan, Testing schedules with accompanying results, District Advisory Council information, California English Language Development (CELDT) information and other information as presented to the SSC at the regularly scheduled monthly meetings.
· Mark Twain High School provides parents of the Title 1 students with timely information about Title1 programs during the regularly scheduled SSC meetings, parent night functions, student orientations, and other meetings as scheduled.
· Mark Twain High School provides parents of the Title 1 students with an explanation of the curriculum used at the school, the assessments used to measure student progress, and the proficiency levels students are expected to meet. This is done during the regularly scheduled SSC meetings, parent night function, student orientation, newsletters with on-going counselor/student/parent communications.
Home School-Parent Compact:
Mark Twain High School distributes to parents of Title1 students a school-parent compact. The compact, which has been jointly developed with parents, outlines how parents, the entire school staff, and students will share the responsibility for improved student academic achievement. It describes specific ways the school and families will partner to help children achieve the State’s high academic standards. It addresses the following legally required items, as well as other items suggested by parents of Title 1 students.
· The school’s responsibility to provide high-quality curriculum and instruction
· The ways parents will be responsible for supporting their children’s learning
· The importance of ongoing communication between parents, teacher and counselors through, at a minimum, annual parent-teacher-counselor conferences; frequent reports on student progress; access to staff; opportunities for parents to volunteer and participate in their child’s class; and opportunities to observe classroom activities.
This policy was developed in cooperation with the parents, staff, community members, administration and students during the regularly scheduled SSC meeting, parent night communications and counselor-student-parents conferences.
Building Capacity for Involvement
Mark Twain High School engages Title 1 parents in meaningful interactions with the school It supports a partnership among staff, parents, and the community to improve student academic achievement. To help reach these goals, the school has established the following practices:
· Mark Twain High School provides Title 1 parent with assistance in understanding the State’s academic content standard, assessment, and how to monitor and improve the achievement of their children. This is accomplished during counselor-student-parent discussions during student orientation, regularly scheduled SSC meetings, parent night meetings, newsletter information and counselor/teacher phone call/email communications.
· Mark Twain High School provided Title 1 parent with materials and training to help them work with their children to improve their children’s achievement. This occurs during counselor led student orientations, regularly scheduled SSC meeting, newsletter information, counselor/student/parent meetings as needed, and SSC information concerning ongoing Parent University/District Advisory Council (DAC) workshops.
· With the assistance of Title 1 parents, the school educates staff members about the values of parent contributions, and in how to work with parent as equal partners. This ongoing communication occurs during counselor/parent/student orientation, regular telephone, email, or other electronic communication regarding input to enhance parent/staff cooperation.
· The school coordinates and integrates the Title 1 parental involvement program with other programs, and conduct other activities, such as parent resource centers, to encourage and support parents in more fully participation in the education. All parent activities are referred to the SSC and other programs that offer full transparency of the educational activities and available time for parental input.
· The school distributes information related to school and parent programs, meeting, and other activities to Title 1 parents in a format and language that the parents understand. This is accomplished by bilingual front office staff, and translations as needed.
· The School provides support for parental involvement activities requested by Title 1 parents. SSC budget items are in place for parents to use for conferences, Parent University workshops and translation services as needed.
Mark Twain High School provides opportunities for the participation of all Title 1 parents, including parents with limited English proficiency, parents with disabilities, and parents of migratory students. Information and school reports are provided in a format and language that parents understand. This is accomplished by an ongoing survey of students/parents needs by counselors and staff regarding transiency, language, disability and general needs. This is done primarily in each student’s orientation with all associated conversations by the counselors. Information is then disseminated to the rest of the staff on as as-need basis