Twain SOAR Independent Study Program
Many students are finding success through the SOAR program at Mark Twain High School. The SOAR program offers flexibility compared to traditional schools for SOAR students to complete all 44 credits of A-G, University of California approved, college prep, independent study curriculum while also providing strong academic guidance. Participants meet their SOAR teachers weekly and complete academic coursework at home. Academic support, individual tutoring and access to computers are available at the main Twain site Monday through Friday from 7:30 AM to 3:30 PM.
SOAR Independent Study students are required to work a minimum of six hours daily, five days per week. The SOAR program works well for many types of students. Many successful SOAR students who have graduated over the past 20 plus years have been credit deficient, or have been students who have difficulty attending school daily. Many have been high achievers focusing on their careers like professional actors, athletes, and even student parents. Many successful SOAR students are bright and motivated individuals who want to earn credits faster.
Students and Parents
Reminders to students and parents:
- Our goal is to help you earn a high school diploma by completing all the courses of study required for San Diego Unified School District schools.
- SOAR provides Individualized instruction that meets student's needs.
- Please inform (email works great) your teacher immediately if you have difficulty with your work or need help. Good communication solves all problems.
- After orientation/enrollment, students are expected weekly to appear in person and/or virtually meet with their SOAR teacher. If issues arise a student may be required to meet as often as required to master course objectives in a timely manner.
- Do not miss your scheduled appointments. It is your responsibility to promptly communicate with your SOAR teacher to reschedule any appointment missed due to an emergency.
- The SOAR program is for motivated, self-disciplined students.
- Enrollment is completely voluntary.
- Be aware that by enrolling your student in SOAR Independent Study you are assuming a much greater responsibility for his/her education.
- You must monitor daily progress and insist that assignments be completed on schedule.
For information or to enroll, contact the SOAR office:
Diane Brengle, SOAR Clerk Extension 3012; firstname.lastname@example.org