- Begin to think about your essay now. Essay prompts from schools should be posted online (check individual school applications)
- Develop a detailed college application plan with a calendar, noting deadlines for applications and scholarships.
- Register for Oct/Nov SAT plus writing and/or ACT plus writing tests if you have not taken them or are not satisfied with your scores. December tests may be okay, too.
- Fill out the "Authorization to Release Student Information to Colleges" form, turn in to the Registrar.
- If you plan to apply to any college under "Early Decision" or "Early Action" talk to your counselor ASAP!
- Begin application process; follow your plan and adjust as necessary.
- Transcripts and Secondary School Reports: Once transcripts are requested in Naviance, see our registrar in-person to turn in the form to activate the request.
- If your colleges require letters of recommendation, ask teachers for recommendations. Speak to them in person first, then request through Naviance.
- Attend the Senior College Bound Symposium. After school college application workshops will be between September-November, check the calendar for dates/locations.
- Send standardized test scores to colleges from College Board and/or ACT website.
- Finish research on colleges and finalize your list, noting deadlines and required admission information.
- If schools on your list have rolling admission, apply early in order to hear back early.
- Research scholarships and apply. See Financial Aid section on SDSCPA’s Counseling website for more information.
- Retake standardized tests if desired, and then send scores once received.
- Order transcripts (see above) if still pending. Adjustments can be made on the form, once submitted.
- FAFSA or Dream Act: Attend evening presentation and classroom presentation. Support is provided at school and on the weekends at various locations; check emails for more details.
- Early college deadlines vary between October 15-November 15.
- If you are an athlete and plan to play a sport in college, register for NCAA Eligibility Center. November
- Check emails and see counselor to review status of all steps needed, listed above.
- Finish rough drafts of essays and applications and have them proofread.
- Continue preparing and submitting applications, making sure all parts are filled out accurately. You may wish to print anything you submit electronically. Submit prior to the deadline to avoid web traffic.
- Keep your grades up - schools look at senior year semester and end of year grades.
- UC and CSU applications are due on 11/30. Submit application well prior to the deadline. Make your goal to have it submitted over Thanksgiving break!
- For private schools, fill out CSS Profile or Financial Aid supplement.
- Retake SAT/ACTs if desired - December tests are the last ones accepted by most colleges.
- Make sure all test scores have been sent to each campus. (If applying to UC’s, only one campus needed; if applying to CSU schools, send to Cal State apply only.)