Dear Prospective Families and Students:
Live your passion! This is what it means to be part of the San Diego School of Creative and Performing Arts (SDSCPA)—a premier public arts focused magnet school preparing students for post-secondary opportunities in the arts. We appreciate your interest in admission to the SDSCPA and want to assure you that while much of the following information may seem overwhelming to many young artists and their families, SDSCPA is committed to the unique student with a relentless passion and discipline for pre-conservatory arts training. Wherever students are in their artistic journey, we strongly encourage them to audition. It might be one of the best decisions they have ever made.
The SDSCPA offers a full 6-12 dual curriculum in the arts and academics required for graduation—this includes several honors, and advanced placement courses. The intensive arts curriculum includes programs of study in visual and cinematic arts, dance (ballet and modern), instrumental music (instrumental and jazz studies), creative writing, and theatre (acting, technical theatre, and musical theatre). Upon acceptance into a program of study, all students must take the required arts courses in their artistic major. The arts are not an elective at SDSCPA--they are a critical part of the dual curriculum.
The SDSCPA family is united by our passion and commitment to youth in the arts—not a zip code demographic group, or system of privilege. Our commitment to the arts creates a diverse and dynamic environment that encourages student voice and empowering opportunities to engage in intense academic and artistic learning. United by this passion has created not only a magical learning environment but also some extraordinary opportunities for our students. In fact, in 2017, three SDSCPA students were accepted into the highly prestigious and selective Juilliard School. Other post secondary opportunities have included, New York University, CalArts, Otis School of Design, Yale, and every University of California.
We also celebrate:
- Our Exemplary Art Schools designation from the National Arts Schools Network for 2018-2023.
- Ranked top 14 Public Schools for the arts in the nation, and #18 Most Diverse Public School in CA (by Niche.com)
- For the past 9 years, SDSCPA was ranked in the top 5 % of public schools, in 2016-17 SDSCPA was ranked in the top 3% of schools by US News & World Report.
- SDSCPA has one of the highest daily attendance rates in the San Diego Unified School District and a nearly 100% graduation rate.
- Class of 2018 earned over $10 million in financial grants and scholarships to top conservatories, and universities.
- In Fall 2018, 93% of SDSCPA students are enrolling in a college or conservatory.
- As the artistic rigor and focus has increased, nearly 55% of graduating students are accepted into university or conservatory arts programs—a steady increase over the past 5 years.
- A competitive and innovative academic curriculum with Honors, AP, and College courses available for highly
- We boast nationally recognized arts programs--SDSCPA ranked in the top 15 in the nation in the Essentially Ellington Jazz Competition, selected for performances at National High School Dance Festival, National YoungArts Foundation Winners in Visual Arts and Music, and the regional Ben Vereen and Craig Noel Theatre Awards.
In order to attend SDSCPA all students must complete the School Choice Application. The SDUSD Enrollment Options School Choice application window for 2019-2020 school year will open on October 1, 2018 and close on November 13, 2018. Applications will not be accepted after the November 13th deadline unless the family is new to the district or a current San Diego Unified student who has a change of residence. Proof of residence is required. For the complete application and audition procedures please visit our school website at: www.sandiegounified.org/scpa and click on the SDSCPA Admissions tab.
A great way to engage with SDSCPA is to attend our student performances. It is a great conversation starter for your family and your audition. You may purchase tickets online at SDSCPA Performances. Also, please plan on attending a Prospective Family Meeting :
- Saturday, September 22, 2018 9a.m.
- Wednesday, October 10, 2018 6:30p.m.
- Saturday, October 20, 2018 9a.m.
- Saturday, November 3, 2018 9a.m.
For a student led tour, please check our website for Magnet Monday Tours beginning at 10 am (weather permitting, as it is an outdoor campus). Parents and students, if you have any specific questions about auditioning for SDSCPA please feel free to contact artistic director, Richard Trujillo at 619-470-0555 ext. 2211 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Break a leg! With love for the arts,
Timothy E. Farson