Dear Prospective Families and Students:
We appreciate your interest in admission to the San Diego School of Creative and Performing Arts (SDSCPA)—a premier public arts focused magnet school preparing students for post-secondary opportunities in the arts. While, much of the following information may seem overwhelming to many young artists and their families, SDSCPA is committed to the unique student with a relentless passion and drive to be an artist. Wherever students are in their artistic journey, we strongly encourage them to audition. It might be one of the best decisions they ever made.
The SDSCPA offers a full 6-12 dual curriculum in the arts and academics required for graduation—this includes several honors, and advanced placement courses. The intensive arts curriculum includes programs of study in visual arts, dance (ballet and modern), instrumental music (classical and jazz studies), creative writing, and theatre (performance, technical, and musical theatre). Upon acceptance into a program of study, all students must take the required courses in their artistic major.
The SDSCPA family is united by our passion and commitment to youth in the arts—not a zip code demographic group, or system of privilege. Our commitment to the arts creates a diverse and dynamic environment that encourages student voice and empowering opportunities to engage in intense academic and artistic learning. As such, our students have options!
- For the past 8 years, SDSCPA was ranked in the top 5 % of public schools, in 2015-16 SDSCPA was ranked in the top 3% of schools by US News & World Report.
- SDSCPA has one of the highest daily attendance rates in the San Diego Unified School District and a 100% graduation rate.
- Class of 2016 earned over $6 million in financial aid to top conservatories, and universities.
- In fall 2016, 91% of SDSCPA students are enrolling in a college or conservatory.
- As the artistic rigor and focus has increased, nearly 50% of graduating students are accepted into university or conservatory arts programs—a steady increase over the past 5 years.
- We boast nationally recognized arts programs--SDSCPA ranked in the top 15 in the nation in the Essentially Ellington Jazz Competition, selected for performances at National High School Dance Festival, National Young Arts Foundation Winners in Visual Arts and Music, and the regional Ben Vereen and Craig Noel Theatre Awards—including Best Actress, competing in NYC.
In order to attend SDSCPA all students must complete the School Choice Application. The School Choice application for the 2017-18 school year must be submitted between October 3, 2016 and November 14, 2016. Applications will not be accepted after the November 14th deadline unless the family is new to the district or a current San Diego Unified student who has a change of residence. Proof of residence is required. For the complete application and audition procedures please visit our school website at: SDSCPA Admissions.
A great way to engage with SDSCPA is to attend our student performances. It is a great conversation starter for your family and your audition. You may purchase tickets online at SDSCPA Performances. Also, please plan on attending our Magnet Monday Tours beginning every Monday until November 14th at 9:30am.
Parents and students, if you have any specific questions about auditioning for SDSCPA please feel free to contact artistic director, Richard Trujillo at 619-470-0555 ext. 2211 or email@example.com.
Break a leg!
With love for the arts,
Timothy E. Farson