4-Year University To-Dos:
- Sign up for SAT and/or ACT test. (Most likely plus writing.) (See SDSCPA’s website, under Counseling, then Testing Information, for links to College Board and ACT)
- Sign up for two or more SAT Subject Tests IF your school(s) may require or recommend it. UC schools highly recommend them! Several private schools require them. See colleges’ websites.
- Make a list of colleges that you are thinking about on Naviance, under “college tab” and do research about the schools. By the end of the summer, you should have:
- *2 or more “Reach Schools” (0-20% chance of acceptance)
- *3 or more “Match Schools” (Accept 30% or more applicants in range)
- *2 or more “Safety Schools” (Accept 60% or more applicants in range)
- Participate in summer activities, such as internships, work, volunteering, classes, etc.
- If you are applying to UCs, private schools, or others that require an essay, OR plan on applying for scholarships that require an essay, start creating a draft over the summer! Be prepared to proof read, and edit several drafts. Have many people read it and give feedback. Remember you want to “hook” your audience with your opening statement (first couple of sentences). See your counselor for questions.
If applying to private schools … also:
- Make a resume (can do on Naviance-under “about me”)
- Ask for letters of rec from teachers
- Do “Input Questions” on Naviance, under surveys