Summer Assignment 2017-2018
AP Government Brochure: Are you wondering what to expect from AP Government? Then look no further: click here.
1. Please complete the survey prior to the beginning of the school year in August. Thank you and I can't wait to meet you!
There are two summer assignments, a handwritten outline of the US Constitution and an essay. Both assignments are due the first day of school 8/28/17, however, the handwritten outline will be submit in class, but the essay needs to be submitted to Google Classroom. To join the AP US GOPO classroom use code 4l93x94.
- Read and comprehend the entire US Constitution.
- Creat a hand-written annotated outline of the entire US Constitution (see example below for how to begin)
- Annotate so you understand what each component of the Constitution means in modern day terms (1), what changes ahve been made over time (2), and how the Constitution is applied today (3). If your outline is done correctly, you will not only have answered these three previously stated questions, but also the following:
- What does each part, section, clause and amendment say/mean?
- How does each part, section, clause and amendment apply to society and the workings of the US Government?
- What can/cannot the government do?
- What can/cannot a citizen do?
- Annotations should be in your own words and voice, not the voice of the Framers (or any expert or “expert” found through Google—it is vital to make sense of the text through your own perspective and understanding.
II. Articles--explain what their purpose is (in your own words)
i. Section 1: Congress—explain what it is, what function this section providesand how it impacts people’s rights and/or the function of government (in ownwords)
ii. Section 2: House of Representatives-- explain what it is, what function thissection provides and how it impacts people’s rights and/or the function ofgovernment (in own words)
a. Clause/Sub Section 1: Elections-- explain what it is, what function this section provides and how it impacts people’s rights and/or the function ofgovernment (in own words)
b.Clause/Sub Section 2: Qualification-- explain what it is, whatfunction this section provides and how it impacts people’s rights and/or the function of government (in own words)
- Select one basic principle and describe its relationship to three specific parts of the Preamble. Explain how that basic principle allows the Constitution to acheive the three parts you selected from the Preamble.
- Explain how at least two basic principles are directly connected to the creation of the 3 branches of Government. Make sure to be clear on how they connect.
- List and explain one way that each principle has a direct impact on your daily life.
- Which guiding principle of the Constitution do you think was the most important and has the greatest impact on Americans today? Give at least two supporting arguments.