History of Sandburg Elementary School
On November 21, 1972, the Board of Education unanimously approved the name of Carl Sandburg. A School Naming Ceremony was held in February 1973 in front of the garages. In November 1973, the students moved from the houses into the temporary district facilities. Mr. Edward Roff was assigned as principal in February 1973, Mrs. Kathy Kolk was the first president. The Sandburg CAC was established on September 27, 1973, and Mr. J. T. Matthews was the first chairperson.
The school features four flexible classroom buildings, each area designed to house about 180 students and six teachers. This flexible physical arrangement provides for varying combinations of teaching stations. A large multipurpose building serves the total school as a cafeteria, auditorium and instructional media center. Students from every classroom have an opportunity for supervised work and study in this media center. A modern Educational Service Unit provides all administrative support services for the school.
Carl Sandburg was born in Galesburg, Illinois, of Swedish parents on January 6, 1878, and he died at his home, named Connemara, in Flat Rock, North Carolina, on July 22, 1967. He lived to receive two Pulitzer Prizes, one for his biography of Abraham Lincoln (Abraham Lincoln: The War Years) and one for his collection The Complete Poems of Carl Sandburg.
He was a novelist, a poet, a successful journalist, historian, children's author, balladeer and troubadour of American folk songs.
H. L. Mencken called Carl Sandburg "indubitably an American in every pulse-beat." Carl Sandburg is referred to in Sufjan Stevens' song "Come on! Feel the Illinoise!" off his Illinois album. The song speaks of Carl appearing as a ghost, and questioning "Are you writing from the heart?"