IB Middle Years Programme
Life in the 21st century places many changing demands on studentsmaking the transition through adolescence. They are at a crucial period of personal, social, physical and intellectual development. The International Baccalaureate Middle Years Programme (MYP) is designed to help young people find a sense of belonging in an increasingly interrelated world by fostering a positive attitude toward learning and living as engaged citizens.
Read about the IB MYP program HERE.
The MYP at Roosevelt MIddle School is for all 6th, 7th and 8th grade students and embodies the concept of inquiry-based learning across the subject groups below. This approach provides an instructional framework that encourages our students to understand the connections between traditional subjects and the real world as creative, critical and reflective
• Language & Literature (English Language Arts)
• Language Acquisition (French, Spanish, or English)
• Individual & Societies (Social Studies, World History, US History)
• Science (Earth, Life, Physical)
• Physical and Health Education
• Identities & Relationships
• Orientation in Space & Time
• Personal & Cultural Expression
• Scientific & Technical Innovation
• Globalization & Sustainability
• Fairness & Development
• Reflection of MYP Experience
• Student-directed & Managed Inquiry
In addition to meeting a legal requirement, the Course of Study provides information about the district’s educational programs and approved instructional materials. It also outlines state and district requirements, district cross-curricular programs, special education programs, student assessment, and more.
School and district policies require homework and outside reading on a regular basis. Each teacher has a homework policy that meets these requirements. Your child will bring home a copy of the policy for his or her classroom during the first few weeks of school.