CHS Internship Program Fast Facts - Fall 2017
Would your company / organization like to connect to the bright minds of the future workforce?
- To learn more: Internship Program Fast Facts as PDF
- To request an intern now: Intern Request Form for Fall 2017
- To preview all program forms and paperwork: CHS Internship Handbook 2017
- To preview the presentation for new intern supervisors: CHS Intern Program Orientation PowerPoint
The 12th grade student interns at Clairemont High School (CHS) are qualified, motivated young people who are required to do field internships as part of their Internship Class credit. We are looking for companies and organizations who would like to host an intern and make a difference in a young life. Students are released from their midday class to apply their skills in a professional setting. Internships are ideally 12 weeks long for 4-10 hours per week during the months of October - January . Internships are typically unpaid, although paid internships are always welcome.
Student Intern Qualifications:
The CHS Academy students have taken a sequence of three or more courses for their chosen industry pathway in business, engineering, medical sciences or information technology. Students are also trained in Microsoft applications (Excel, Word, Publisher, and PowerPoint), Google applications (Google searches, Google Drive, Google Calendar, etc.) and social media. In addition, students had extensive hands-on training in essential workplace soft skills such as: communication, collaboration, teamwork, analysis/ solution mindset, entrepreneurial mindset, self-Awareness, resilience, adaptability and workplace professionalism.
Intern Placement Details (Fall):
- Intern Request Form Application Window Fall: August 28 - October 22, 2017
- Internship Duration: 10 weeks
- Intern Start Date: October 10, 2017
- Intern End Date: January 19, 2017
- Intern Availability: Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday (due to school schedule), starting at 11:00 am. Intern end work time varies and is dependent upon site location, transportation time, and student’s afternoon school schedule.
- Intern Weekly Hours: Ideally interns will work 4-10 hours per week
- Transportation: Students drive or take bus. (MTS transit passes provided by district for students.)
- Liability: Workers’ Compensation covered by school district for all unpaid internships
- Evaluation: Interns monitored weekly by instructor, evaluated by site internship supervisor
Steps to Host an Intern (For Fall 2017):
STEP 1: STEP 1: COMPLETE ONLINE REQUEST FORM
- Fill out and return the online Intern Request Form for Fall 2017 by Sept. 22, 2017
- Attend the Intern Supervisor Orientation & Intern Interview Fair on Thursday Sept. 28, 2017, 9:00 am - 12:30 pm at Clairemont High Library
STEP 2. CHECK INTERNSHIP PROGRAM DETAILS
- If you haven’t already, please take a moment to look over our Internship Pogram Fast Facts as PDF and also explore the info below to verify that the times and goals of this internship program fit with your company’s needs. You can preview some of the materials such as our Internship Supervisors’ Handbook and Training Presentation.
STEP 3. SCHEDULE PHONE/ FACE-TO-FACE CONFERENCE (NEW INTERN SUPERVISORS ONLY)
- Are you new to the CHS INternship Program? If so, prior to making a final determination if we can place an intern at your site, please contact Program Coordinator Liz Rush at firstname.lastname@example.org to set up a telephone interview or face-to-face appointment, so we can learn more about about your internship position, company, and work environment.
- Are you a returning Intern Supervisor from previous years? If so, you may skip this step.
STEP 4. INTERNSHIP SUPERVISOR ORIENTATION
- Clairemont High requires all intern supervisors to attend an important orientation session which will provide program guideline information and explain the required paperwork to host a student intern.
- The orientation will take place on on Thursday Sept. 28, 2017, 9:00 AM - 10:00 AM at the Clairemont High Library (before the Intern Interview Fair). If there is a critical conflict, please contact Program Coordinator Liz Rush at email@example.com to set up an alternative option.
STEP 5. REVIEW APPLICANT RESUMES / CONDUCT INTERVIEWS
- During the weeks leading up to the orientation, we will ask students to send resumes to the intern supervisors with whom they wish to interview. Then, we encourage supervisors to conduct formal interviews by either scheduling individual interviews, or attending our pre-organized CHS Internship Interview Fair on Thursday Sept. 28, 2017, 10:30 AM - 12:30 PM at the Clairemont High Library (Immediately following Orientation above). This event is a perfect opportunity for intern supervisors to schedule interviews with two or more of our student intern applicants.
STEP 6: INTERNSHIP PLACEMENT
- Based on interview feedback, CHS will place interns in the days following the Internship Interview Fair. It is our goal to have all student interns placed and ready to begin working at their site by October 10, 2017. We encourage supervisors to use the first day of the internship for student intern paperwork, orientation, and training.
For questions, please contact Internship Program Coordinator Liz Rush at firstname.lastname@example.org