Our school dates back to the last century, as far back as 1886 when the school was part of the county until it became part of the San Diego district in 1916.
School sure looked different in 1907 as shown in this picture on top. And here is a picture of a 6th grader named Patricia studying in the 1940s.
It has changed over the years to adapt to the needs of students. Previously located at 47th Street and Hilltop Drive, it was moved to make way for the construction of Gompers School.
The new Chollas school is now at at 4525 45th St. in the Chollas View neighborhood. In the late 1980s two elementary schools in the area merged to become Chollas-Mead Elementary.
Originally Mead Elementary was built in 1960 as a temporary school to meet surging enrollment. It was completely rebuilt with bond money in the 2005, with a child development center. It was named for Francis Mead, a beloved citizen who helped many youths through college.
The school was rededicated in 2006 with a new school and merged administration from kindergarten through 6th grade. And today our new school with a redefined focus and added resources to support all students is continuing to make history.