At Carson Elementary we proudly support school wide fitness through programs such as:
- 200 minutes of physical education every two weeks supported through my weekly PE Class as well as YMCA via Y Play
- Running Club: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday mornings (7:25-7:45) PARENTS WELCOME!!
- Recess Sports League: Friday
- YMCA Swim: 2 week program for 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade students
- Fifth graders take part in Fitnessgram testing which measures aerobic capacity, body index, curl ups, flexibility, and push ups
As the physical education teacher, I have the privilege of working with every student in the school. Children are given the opportunity to be active in my class once a week. We work on skills such as sharing, turn taking, and improving overall health, along with skills such as dribbling, kicking, and striking. I believe that physical activity boosts cognitive function, social interaction, and self esteem.