Every bus rider must abide by the following rules or be subject to disciplinary action, which may include suspension of bus riding privileges:
- Students must have a valid school ID card and a current Z Pass at all times.
- All riders shall remain seated when the bus is in motion.
- All windows shall remain closed unless permission to open them has been granted by the driver.
- Keep heads, hands and arms inside the bus at all times.
- Fighting, harassment, horseplay, obscene or inappropriate language and other objectionable behavior are forbidden.
- Bus riders shall not litter the bus with food or other debris.
- Eating, drinking, or chewing gum is prohibited.
- No bus rider shall be allowed to bring articles of an injurious nature aboard the bus.
- Bus riders shall not tamper with bus equipment. Riders must report any observed damage to the driver immediately. Any damage to the bus caused by the student (other than normal usage) must be paid for by the rider.
- Bus riders shall be at designated loading place at the scheduled time.
- Bus riders shall follow procedures when embarking and disembarking the bus.
- No bus rider shall be allowed to leave the bus on the afternoon or homeward trip except at the morning location of boarding.
- Parents will be notified of any misconduct that has occurred.
- Bus riders shall conform to the same standards of conduct and cleanliness that are expected of them at school.
Consequences: (District Procedure 5411)
- First Offense: Warning or possible bus riding suspension
- Second Offense: Warning or possible bus riding suspension
- Third Offense: Two-day bus riding suspension
- Fourth Offense: Five-day bus riding suspension
- Fifth Offense: Balance-of-year bus riding suspension
- Bodily harm (actual or threatened): Immediate suspension of student and possibly other disciplinary action.
In the case of a bus suspension, it is the responsibility of the student (and his or her parents or guardian) to provide transportation to and from school. It is NOT an excused absence if a student does not come to school due to a suspension from the bus. The day(s) of suspension will be considered served if a student is present at school.
WALKERS & BIKE RIDERS
Muirlands is located on a busy street. Many students walk or bicycle to school. It is important to observe all traffic laws and regulations at all times. Only use designated crosswalks when crossing Nautilus Street. Use caution before entering a crosswalk.
Bike riders must always remain in the bike lane when riding in the street and ride with the flow of traffic. Helmets must be worn. Bikes are not to be ridden on campus. All bikes must be stored and secured at the bike racks. The school cannot be responsible for lost, stolen or damaged bicycles or equipment. Due to safety and storage issues, students may not ride skateboards to school. Skateboards and scooters are not allowed at ANY TIME on campus. Skateboards will be confiscated and will have to be picked up by a parent/guardian.
DROP OFF AND PICKUP
Staff parking lots are not to be used for dropping off or picking up students at any time. Students may be dropped off and picked up in the front of school or surrounding neighborhood. Be careful when getting into or out of the car. Students and drivers should allow plenty of time to get to school in the morning and should be on time for pick up in the afternoon. The Muirlands campus will open at 8:05 a.m. Students should be off campus by 3:25 p.m. or signed in to the PrimeTime program provided by ARC. PrimeTime applications are available online. Detention will be assigned to students who continually remain on campus (including the parking lots and landscaped areas) after 3:25 p.m. without supervision. Please obey all traffic laws!