Dear Parents, Guardians, Community Members, and Students:
I hope you are as enthusiastic as the staff is, anticipating an incredible year working together towards the same mutual goals. We've begun preparing for a renewed school-wide and La Jolla Cluster focus on Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Math, as well as for the instructional shifts associated with the new Common Core State Standards. The 21st century education movement requires that four specific skills be emphasized, commonly known as the Four C's...critical thinking, collaboration, communication, and creativity. Collectively, mastery of these skills will allow our students to be active and contributing citizens, successful in their choice of college and career.
On our school's website you will find the calendar, student assignments, excellent links and shortcuts, staff directory/email contacts, and much more. Please bookmark it! The entire staff welcomes communication via email, phone, or in-person (by appointment), and encourages you to stay connected to what is happening in the classrooms and on campus. In addition, the Muirlands Foundation is a significant and long-standing contributor to our school’s success. Please make sure you are signed up to receive the weekly e-Blasts. I encourage you to stay involved. The research is clear that when schools, families, and community groups work together to support teaching and learning, more often children do better in school, stay in school longer, and enjoy school more.
Our ambitious mission is to inspire and prepare students to reach their full potential as highly literate learners, prepared to meet the challenges of a global and technological society, while maintaining high standards, enhancing character development, and providing a range of educational experiences. Our goals include:
- Infusing literacy and state content standards into all curricular areas.
- Raising all students' achievement above proficiency and to meet or exceed standards.
- Promoting student involvement in the school and in the community.
- Expanding communication and involvement between parents and our school.
- Increasing teacher collaboration across grade levels and disciplines in order to create and maintain a positive culture of achievement.
- Leveraging 21st century skills to support critical thinking, collaboration, communication, and creativity.
Harlan Klein, M.A., M.Ed.