*** This page will be updated in the spring of 2017 for the 2017-2018 school year ***
Master schedule teams are diligently preparing for student placement in mathematics courses for the 2016-2017 school year. Students currently in 5th, 6th and 8th grade will take a Math Readiness Assessment for use as one of the points of information to assist in course placement for the 2016-2017 instructional year. All Muirlands students new to the district will be tested on August 24th. More information to be posted later.
In 2014 the District began full implementation of the Common Core State Standards that required a shift in how mathematics instruction was implemented. In 2015 input was gathered through site conversations, cluster level and department conversations, and collaboration with a respected mathematics consultant to strategize next steps and improve the math placement process. As a result of the work in 2015 the district revised the math pathways, identified multiple measures that a site could use to determine student course placement, and created Math Readiness Assessments that would align with Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium (SBAC) and district assessment practices. The procedures and criteria put in place in 2015 provided useful guidelines for all schools and the procedures will continue for 2016-17 with only one modification—the addition of a Readiness Assessment for Advanced Integrated Math II. This additional assessment is required to bring the district math placement procedures into compliance with SB359 which requires assessments for all students entering 9th grade math.
2016-2017 Criteria for Math Placement
The District has identified four (4) measures as indicators for sites to utilize as they plan for student course placement:
- Math Readiness Assessments
- Math Grades
- Elementary Student Progress Report Card Data will be used for elementary students
- First and Second semester grade data will be used for secondary students
- SBAC Assessment Results (if available)
- Teacher Recommendation (as requested by administrators)
Math Readiness Assessments
Three (3) separate Math Readiness Assessments will be administered:
- Accelerated Math 6 – administered to all 5th graders entering Grade 6
- Accelerated Math 7 – administered to all 6th graders entering Grade 7
- Advanced Integrated Math I – administered to all 8th graders enrolled in Common Core 8
The District made a decision not to develop a Math Readiness Assessment for current 7th grade students
entering Grade 8 in order to avoid critical gaps in mathematical understanding and content standards.
Students currently enrolled in Accelerated Math 7 will be placed in Advanced Integrated Math I.
Opportunities for acceleration are available upon matriculation to high school.
The Math Readiness Assessment Window
- Traditional schools - administered by May 23, 2016 - June 3, 2016
- Year-round schools - administered between June 27, 2016 and July 8, 2016
For additional information or questions please contact your child’s middle school office.