End of Year Grade-Level Activities and 8th Grade Promotion Criteria
All students will have the opportunity to participate in school-related and End of Year Grade-level Activities, including field trips and ASB events. In addition, 8th graders who meet the criteria below will be invited to participate in a special Promotion Ceremony at the end of the school year. For a student to be promoted to the 9th grade, they must meet the academic standards of the San Diego Unified School District.
In order to participate in End of Year Grade-level Activities and the Muirlands Middle School Promotion Ceremony for 8th Graders, students must meet the following criteria on the Semester 2, Progress Report 2 (P4) in May and maintain it for the duration of the school year.
- Have earned a 2.0 GPA in both Academics and Citizenship
- No more than ten (10) tardies total for the entire school year (includes 1st period tardies)
- No more than one (1) truancy (including period truancies) the entire school year
- Students with more than 10% absences the whole school year (roughly 18 days) will not meet criteria (certain health exceptions may be made and does not include short-term Independent Learning Contracts)
- No more than one (1) Suspension the entire current school year at Muirlands
- No Suspensions within (3) three weeks of the last day of school
- No Zero Tolerance (ZT) Suspensions at Muirlands throughout the entire school year
- No outstanding school fines for textbooks, library books, materials, or equipment
There will be opportunity for students not meeting the criteria above for Academics, Citizenship, and Tardies to remediate these marks and be placed on an Individual Contract. Students will be informed of the process for obtaining and submitting an Individual Contract, which is typically due to a School Counselor with all teacher and parent/guardian signatures 2-3 weeks before the last day of school.
APPEALING: If criteria for participation are not met, but you (student) feel that you are deserving of participation, you may submit an Appeal Letter in addition to completing an Individual Contract. The Appeal Letter should be handwritten or typed, addressed to the Appeal Committee, and include details as to why you feel an exception to the regular school policies should be made for you. Administration will make final determination of eligibility. Student and guardian will be notified of the disposition of the appeal.
Eight grade students on an Individual Contract who qualify after Semester 2, Progress Report 2 (P4), will only gain eligibility for the Promotion Ceremony. Students will be instructed and reminded of the criteria above throughout the school year. The Muirlands Administration will have final authority for determining a student’s eligibility for participation in End of Year Grade-level Activities and the 8th Grade Promotion Ceremony.
Parents/Guardians share responsibility for monitoring their child's academic and citizenship marks and attendance, including tardies.
Any changes to the End of Year Grade-level Activities and 8th Grade Promotion Criteria will be communicated well in advance. Please visit the Muirlands website for the latest information.