My name is Maisha Jones RN, FNP, BC. I am the nurse presently at MBHS. I have a Bachelor of Science in Nursing from University of Southern California, Masters of Science in Nursing Family Nurse Practitioner from University of California Los Angeles and a California School Nurse Credential from San Diego State University. My experience has been in Telemetry, Family Practice and Women’s health. The health office welcomes parents to stop by with concerns or questions.
Health Office Information
The school nurse offers the following services to students and families:
- Daily first aid and student assessments related to health needs
- Medication administration
- Medical referrals and resources
- Special education assessments
- Vision screenings
- Vision and dental referrals
- Hearing assessments and referrals
- Health counseling
- Emergency first aid for staff and students
- Communication with staff to assure medical needs are met
- Health insurance referrals
- Attendance monitoring, support and follow up
- Monitor immunizations, input and maintain San Diego Immunization Registry
- Completion of the Tuberculin questionnaire for staff and volunteers
Medications at School
The health office is able to administer medications during school hours. Please contact the school nurse for necessary forms that need to be completed by the doctor, if necessary.
Please make sure the school nurse is aware of any health issues that your child may have. This will help assure the safety and welfare of your child while they attend MBHS. These include, but are not limited to, asthma, diabetes, seizure disorder, and allergic reaction requiring Epi-pen use, orthopedic problems, and hearing problems.
Attending school daily is very important for your teen’s success at school. Please notify the attendance office if your teen is out for more than 3 days due to illness. Extended absences related to health/ surgeries should be reported to the school nurse.
Remember that adequate sleep, increased water, exercise and a healthy balanced diet with increased fruits and vegetables can help your child stay healthy. Breakfast is very important and should never be skipped in the morning. There is breakfast available daily at school if needed and lunch.