Drop/Add Course Request Guidelines
There are NO Free Periods, if there is a hole in your schedule you need to see your counselor that period (where nothing is scheduled) to add the appropriate class. Things you must include on your drop/add slip:
- Student Name
- Counselor Name
- Date the form is filled out
- Student grade level
- Student email address is optional – The student request may not be able to be filled but if the counselor has a recommendation or question about an alternative they want to contact you. Alternatively they may send you a message in Naviance and if your email is linked there you will be forwarded their question.
- Always put precisely which course you want dropped and which course should be added in its place.
- Do not indicate that you want to drop a class without indicating what you want to replace it with.
- Do not try to add a class without saying which class should be dropped to make room.
Students should request a course change if:
- Repeating a course – If you find yourself in a course that you have already passed with good grades and will not be earning credit, you should request to be put in the appropriate class. If you are repeating the class and you did not have a C or higher previously then you are placed correctly.
- Placed incorrectly – If you are placed in a class that is too high a level, example IB French when you have no experience with French, you should indicate that you want to drop IB French and which class you should be taking. Or if the level of the class is too low, you should request to be moved to a more appropriate class.
Student may request a course change if:
- Repeating a failed course with the same teacher – due to limitations with the master schedule you may be repeating a course in the same circumstances in which you failed. You may request that you repeat the course with a different teacher or period, but these requests will be granted only if the master schedule can accommodate the move.
- Students may request to move to a less impacted class – as the master schedule is impacted some classes are extremely large and there may be a shortage of computers or lab space.
Do not submit a request if:
- You want to drop a class required for graduation.
- You want a different teacher or period.
- You want to be moved to a class with your friends, even if they will help you study and you will do so much better if you are with them.
- You want to move out of a class because someone is not your friend and you do not think you can get along. If there is a concern about your safety please speak with a school official immediately.
Absolutely do not ever submit multiple requests.
- The counselors will replace any earlier requests with your latest one and this will move you down the list of students to call out. This may result in earlier request being discarded.
- If you are making multiple requests be sure to write them all on the same sheet. If you submit multiple sheets the counselor cannot be sure of exactly what you want if the sheets indicate different requests.