Mission Bay High School
2475 Grand Avenue • San Diego, CA 92109
|Written by Administrator|
|Tuesday, 03 March 2009|
Obviously, daily attendance plays a critical role in the overall success of each student, especially in high school. To increase your student’s chances for academic success, Mission Bay High School has established the following Attendance Policy. Please read the expectations below carefully:
- ALL ABSENCES must be cleared with a telephone call from the parent/guardian within FIVE days of the student’s absence (858-279-1313,
- extension 110.) Absences not cleared within that time will be considered “unexcused” or “truant.” Students are expected to make up unexcused absences or truancies by attending Saturday School (Attendance at one four-hour Saturday School clears four “period absences” or one full day’s absence.) Saturday School provides students with opportunities to receive structured instructional support from credentialed teachers on staff.
- California Educational Code sections 46010 and 48205 identify approved reasons for absence from school:
- Excused Absences: personal illness (may require a doctor’s note), personal medical appointments, funeral services of parent, sibling, grandparent, or any relative living in child’s household, personal court appearances (requires verification), and district-recognized religious holidays.
- Unexcused Absences: transportation issues (car/traffic problems), personal/family “problems,” vacations or trips out of town, babysitting of siblings, accompanying parents to work, “translating” for family members, oversleeping, or any other reason not listed above as “excused.”
- Please schedule your student’s medical appointments as much as possible OUTSIDE OF SCHOOL HOURS to reduce his or her absences from class. If a student must be excused for a medical appointment during the school day, please call the Attendance Office in advance to request a “Blue Slip.” Students with “Blue Slips” will check out through the Attendance Office. A signed doctor’s note is required to excuse these absences.
- Students who miss more than three periods of class “unexcused” or “truant” in a school year are expected to attend Saturday School (8:00 am to 12:00 pm) to clear these absences. Because unexcused absences may lower citizenship grades and result in athletic ineligibility, students may attend Saturday School to clear these absences. Students must clear all assigned Saturday School obligations to be eligible to attend school dances. Moreover, seniors must clear all assigned Saturday School obligations to participate in the Commencement ceremony.
Extensive absences from school seriously jeopardize students’ opportunities for academic success. As a result, there are no “contracts” with students and their parents to excuse class time missed for other than state-excused absences (see above.) Please plan family vacations during district-scheduled breaks from school.