Letters of Recommendation
Letters of recommendation from your teachers and school staff are an important part of applications for colleges and universities, as well as job applications and scholarship applications. We want to tell the world how good a student you are, but there are some requirements.
- Make your request at least 10 school days before the recommendation due-date.
Be sure the "Release of Information" was selected on the K12 card you submitted with your registration paperwork. Your parent/guardian must have checked the appropriate box before we can send information about you to your colleges.
- Make sure any forms are completely filled out and signed where necessary; ie, you write in your name, address, phone number, etc.
Provide recommender a copy of request/paperwork for university, college, scholarship, etc.
Provide recommender an addressed AND stamped envelope if applicable-make sure of appropriate envelope size and postage.
- If applying to private and/or out of state schools that require a letter of recommendation, you must complete the "Senior Brag Sheet".
- Requesting Letters of Recommendation in Naviance:
- First, you must complete the "Senior Brag Sheet" in Naviance.
- Go to "About Me" tab and click "My Surveys" at the right, then select "Surveys Not Started"
- Complete "Senior Brag Sheet"
- Match CommonApp and Naviance if applying to Common Application campuses
- Before you can match the two, you must electronically sign the FERPA waiver in CommonApp. See counselor if you need guidance.
- From Naviance, go to "Colleges" tab, then click on "Colleges I'm Applying To"
- Electronically Sign using exact email address used for CommonApp
Ask teacher and counselor in person if they are willing to write you a positive letter of recommendation
- After an enthusiastic yes!, request two teachers and your counselor in Naviance.
- Go to "Colleges" tab then select "Colleges I'm Applying To"
- Click the "Letters of Recommendation Section" link and complete the request
- Hand write your recommender a thank-you letter!