Our School Overview
Loma Portal Elementary School continues to provide an academically rich and dynamic education to all of its students in its unique, historic atmosphere. Over the years, its students have became astronauts, doctors, civil engineers, architects, Board of Education members, and swimmers of the English Channel....and they continue to change the world every day.
The Loma Portal educational community exists to inspire all students to realize and achieve their optimal potential to be productive citizens in a global society.
Loma Portal’s Vision Statement
We will promote an atmosphere that fosters creativity, self-reliance, and academic success. We will implement State Standards and encourage the development of responsible students who are learning and working cooperatively in a safe environment.
More about Loma Portal Elementary:
Loma Portal Elementary School is a vibrant, family-oriented school with a mission to inspire all students to achievement their optimal potential and to be productive citizens in today's global society. Instruction is focused on every student reaching or exceeding Common Core Standards. Teachers create rich, warm learning environments that invite and nurture Loma Portal students to do their best.
Loma Portal is a school that has fostered excellence since 1914. The school community earned the California Distinguished School award in 2010. We have an active Foundation that supports our students with many ongoing activities and fund-raisers such as the Monster Bash, Multicultural Festival, Silent Auction, Holiday Gift Shop, andJ og-A-Thon.
Our programs include:
- GATE Seminar and GATE Cluster classes
- Music for all students
- Artist-in-residence programs (drama, music and visual art)
- Computer lab
- Library lessons for all students
- Support for English learning students
- After school programs such as chess club, cheerleading, golf, and Lego club
- Before school Run For Life jogging program
- A school garden
- Klassic Kids before and after school childcare
- Field trips to city arts events such as the SanDiego symphony, ballet, and theatre.
We have many opportunities for parents and community members to serve our students such as:
- “Everyone A Reader”
- One-on-one reading volunteers
- School governance (SGT) and School Site Council (SSC)
- Special events committees
- Our exceptional Dad’s Club
Loma Portal’s mascot is the DOLPHIN. As with all dolphins, our Loma Portal Pod has strong social bonds and demonstrates positive, intelligent behavior in accord with the dolphin reputation of being one of the most complex and advanced animals in the animal kingdom.