At Loma Portal Elementary School, we believe in educating the entire child. This includes having a rigorous academic curriculum with high expectations, a strong character, and a healthy body. This website is dedicated to providing information to our families on all things related to nutrition, health, and wellness. In the coming months, our school will place an emphasis on healthy living for our students, staff, and families. Please help us accomplish this task by providing your child with a healthy diet, adequate sleep, 60 minutes of exercise daily, and limited screen time so they can come to school prepared for be their BEST. I look forward to a healthy 2019 here at LPE!
Upcoming activities/events related to our school wellness plan:
1. Presentation from the Dairy Council of California (January 2019)
2. Participation in the Jumprope for Heart program (April 2019)
3. 2nd annual Family Fitness Night (May 9, 2019)
4. Run for Life program (before school run program every day)
5. Girls on the Run (after school run program offered Mondays and Wednesdays on campus)
6. Lunchtime Soccer Club (offered at lunchtime on Mondays for all students)
7. An upcoming Parent University focused on Nutrition (May 15, 2019 @5:30pm in our auditorium)
8. A school cafeteria offering our students healthy food options daily. Our menu is located here.
9. Loma Portal Staff Wellness activities focused on stress relief, mindfulness, and overall well-being.
San Diego Unified School District Policy, Procedures, and Suggestions:
Websites Promoting an Active Lifestyle:
1. Raceplace.com or Active.com - Search for available run/walk/jog events nationwide
2. Cosmic Kids - Yoga, stories, and fun for kids