Is my child ready for Kindergarten?
- It depends on your child. Children 5 years old as of September 1 are eligible for Kindergarten.
- Loma Portal will also continue to offer a Transitional K class (half-day program) for those children that turn 5 between Sept-Dec. Learn more here
How do I register my child?
- Visit the school office (registration usually starts mid-May) at 3341 Browning Ave San Diego, CA 92106. Enrollment is accepted online here. Accompanying documents (birth certificate or passport, immunization record, and proof of residency) will be needed to enroll. View more enrollment information here: https://www.sandiegounified.org/enrollment.
- If you are not a resident of the area, School Choice for the 2018-2019 school year: You must fill out the online application between the dates Oct. 2 to Nov. 13, 2018
online app: https://www.sandiegounified.org/school-choice-application
- Registration Kick Off will be on May 7th, 2019 at our special incoming K and TK student event: Day As A Dolphin.
What is the start time? Can I drop off earlier?
Loma Portal classroom hours are 8:20 AM - 2:40 PM
There is supervision on the Kindergarten Playground from 8:05 AM
When the Run for Life program begins (second week of school) a student may participate and run laps on the upper black top. Drop off for this is at 7:50-8 AM M-F.
What is the end time? How is pick up done?
Dismissal is at 2:40pm M, Tu, W, F. Thursday dismissal is at 12:35pm. All Kindergartners must be picked up at their classroom door by a parent or guardian
Transitional Kindergarten at Loma Portal is a half-day program and releases at 12:35pm every day.
Is there a snack before lunch?
Yes! There is a break for a snack and a snack recess in the mid morning. All recess time is shared with 1 other Kinder class on the Kinder playground. You will pack their snack each day.
Is there lunch everyday?
Yes, even on Thursdays. Please send a lunch with your child or they can get a hot lunch at the cafeteria using their prepaid account. Kindergartners eat with other Kinders at their own tables in the lunch arbor.
Is there recess everyday?
Yes, two! Everyday a snack recess and a lunch recess, and sometimes a late afternoon recess. Usually recess time is shared with 1 other Kinder class on the Kinder playground which includes swings, a play structure, play house, bikes and scooters, blocks and other equipment specifically reserved for the Kindergartners.
Are there bathrooms nearby?
Yes, there are bathrooms in two Kinder classrooms and also bathrooms right outside all K classrooms.
What enrichment outside the classroom is offered?
Every week your child will attend the Computer Lab, the Library, P.E. and Music class. They will also be able to check out books. There are also a variety of after school programs, on campus, available for your child. View examples here.
What is a typical classroom daily schedule?
Please check out the K teacher websites to view their schedules on the classrooms section of this website. Usually it revolves around reading, writing, and language centers in the morning; then math, art or science in the afternoon.
Is there small group instruction?
Yes, kindergartners rotate different centers/stations during the day. The teacher is then able to work with a small group of students at a time to really help develop their skills.
Because our Transitional Kindergarten is half-day, Mrs. Knaplund/Mrs. Southern spend the afternoon working with small groups of kindergarteners who need a little extra help. This is a unique program only found at Loma Portal!
For 2016-17 class size is 25 in Kindergarten through 3rd grade.
Can I volunteer in my child's class?
- Parents are encouraged to volunteer in the Kinder classroom, especially in the morning rotations, to help with the activity or read to them. First, please complete the volunteer forms. Then contact your teacher to set up a time: weekly, bi-monthly, or whatever works for you.
Is there homework in kindergarten?
Not the first weeks. Usually homework is distributed Monday in a folder that your child brings back on Friday. It includes extra enrichment for your child to do at home and with you.
Are there field trips?
Yes, in the Spring all Kindergarteners go to the San Diego Zoo on a bus provided by the Foundation. There is also usually a field trip to Sea World in May. Both are very exciting trips for your child. We advise you to purchase a Loma Portal logo wear shirt so your child is easy to spot on a field trip.
How can I meet other incoming K families?
Please come to the Summer Playdate days scheduled over the summer on the K playground. Incoming kindergarteners and their families are encouraged to come play and meet other families. Sign up to receive Loma Portal e-Blasts so you will know when these are.
Is there before and after school care?
Yes, Klassic Kids is offered at Loma Portal before and after school, as well as YMCA after school, and several other programs. Learn more here: https://www.sandiegounified.org/schools/loma-portal/overview-28
Is the campus secure?
The kindergarten gate is locked at 8:25am and all other gates are locked by 9:30am. If you must remain on campus after the bell rings, you must go to the office and sign in. Loma Portal also has a newly installed PA system that is audible to the entire campus in case of emergency announcements.
Have further questions? Please contact our Kindergarten Tours Chairperson, Heather Nelson at email@example.com