Links for StudentsThe links below direct you to web sites that will help you take good care of yourself and learn more about some common health problems.
This does not substitute for talking to your parents, school nurse or doctor when you have health concerns.
General Health Issues
- http://www.mayoclinic.com/findinformation/firstaidandselfcare/index.cfm - how to provide first aid for a multitude of medical problems.
- http://www.bam.gov - encourages healthy physical activity through learning about Bodies and Minds (BAM).
- http://www.everydaychoices.org - eat right, get active, don't smoke, see your doctor.
- http://www.healthinschools.org/students/index.htm - sections for kids and teens on common health issues, feelings & emotions, nutrition, physical activity.
- http://staff.washington.edu/chudler/introb.html#drug - neuroscience for kids - learn about how your brain works and the effects of chemicals on your brain.
- http://www.hhs.gov/kids - U.S. Department of Health and Human Services site with information on a variety of health related topics.
- http://www.kidshealth.org - sites for kids and teens on nutrition, health and safety.
- http://medmyst.rice.edu - futuristic, interactive games where you must solve medical mysteries while learning about types of infections and how to prevent & treat them.
- www.headlice.org - provides information about dealing with head lice.
Allergies and Asthma
- http://www.nationaljewish.org/disease-info/diseases/asthma/kids/wizard-index.aspx - National Jewish Medical and Research Center asthma activity site in English or Spanish.
- http://www.aaaai.org/patients/just4kids/default.stm - American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology's site including interactive diary and videos, games (Quest for the Code) and information on asthma and allergies.
- http://www.schoolasthmaallergy.com - sites for kids, teens, parents, teachers and coaches on allergy and asthma management at home and school.
- http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/public/lung/index.htm - National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute asthma resources.
- http://www.asthmabusters.org - online club for kids 7 to 14 with asthma.
- http://www.fankids.org - food allergy tips and school project ideas.
- http://www.2bme.org/2bMe.html - site for kids with cancer to get the scoop on non-medical issues related to cancer.
- http://www.patchworx.org - circle of support for kids with illness and disabilities.
- http://bravekids.org/ - help for kids with serious illness or disability.
- http://www.cancer.org/docroot/home/index.asp - American Cancer Society's home page.
- http://www.slsb.org/chemo - for teens coping with chemotherapy.
- http://www.crest.com - dental care animation and dental resources.
- http://www.kids-world.colgatepalmolive.com - this site has games to play...you can even e-mail the tooth fairy.
- http://www.aad.org/public/Parentskids/kids.htm - information about skin conditions and camp discovery.
- http://skin.healthcentersonline.com/conditionsdiseasescenter.cfm - information on variety of skin problems and treatments.
- http://kids.jdrf.org - information about diabetes for children 6 to 17 with pen pal opportunities.
- http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/kids - lots of information about diabetes.
Drugs and Smoking
- http://www.joechemo.org - tobacco IQ quiz & information on how tobacco companies manipulate teenagers through misleading advertising.
- http://www.thecoolspot.gov - engaging games and graphics deliver important messages about the risks of underage drinking.
- http://www.abovetheinfluence.com - interactive drug prevention site.
- http://teens.drugabuse.gov - drug abuse prevention and facts about drug use.
- http://www.drugfree.org/Teen - sobering stories of drug abuse among teens.
- http://www.psychologyinfo.com/depression/teens.htm - information on depression in teenagers.
- http://www.focusas.com - addresses multiple emotional and behavior topics.
- http://www.massgeneral.org/schoolpsychiatry/info_anxiety.asp - information on anxiety and anxiety related disorders.
- http://www.youngwomenshealth.org/eating_disorders.html - information on eating disorders and tretaments.
- http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/eatingdisorders.html - additional information on eating disorders.
- http://www.safeyouth.org/scripts/teens/facts.asp - facts on bullying, violence and conflict resolution.
- http://www.dole5aday.com/kids/K_index.jsp - animated nutrition education and recipes.
- http://www.mealsmatter.org - incorporating good nutrition into daily life, recipes, meal ideas and planning tools.
- http://www.nutritionexplorations.org/kids/main.asp - games, contests and nutrition information.
- http://www.healthinschools.org/students/nutritionteens.htm - information on proper nutrition, maintaining healthy weight, eating disorders.
- http://www.youngwomenshealth.org/scoliosis.html - guide for teens on what scoliosis is, how it is diagnosed, treatment options.
- http://kidshealth.org/teen/diseases_conditions/bones/scoliosis.html - general overview of scoliosis.
- http://www.epilepsyfoundation.org/answerplace/Life/adolescents - Epilepsy Foundation's information for teens with a seizure disorder.
- http://www.epilepsyfoundation.org/etr - straight talk for teens about epilepsy and acceptance, chat groups, message boards, fast facts.
- http://www.epilepsy.com/info/teens.html - information to empower teens who have had seizures.
- http://www.sleepforkids.org - teaching the importance of sleep.