Sixth grade students have the opportunity to choose between Band/Orchestra and the Discovery Wheel Electives for 2016-2017. The Band/Orchestra elective is assigned for the whole year. If you choose Discovery Wheel, you will be assigned 2 different courses for the year. Students who choose the Discovery Wheel will benefit from elective exploration in two areas: Visual Performing Arts (VAPA) and Science Technology Engineering and Mathematics (STEM). The first elective will meet first semester starting in August and ending in January. The second elective begins at the second semester and ends in June.
The sixth grade electives meet on an “A”/”B” schedule, meaning they alternate with PE on a daily basis. Band/Orchestra runs the duration of the whole year alternating “A”/”B” with PE.
Students may also be assigned to a Study Skills elective or to Step Up to Middle School Math, based upon individual need. Listed below are our Sixth Grade Elective Course options for 2016-2017.
Discovery Wheel Classes
- Pre-Engineering (Exploring Technology): Students explore how engineers solve problems through computer research and hands on tasks. During the semester, students tackle construction engineering problems, basic web design, and a study of energy topped by building and testing windmills.
- Introduction to Theater (Drama): Channel your inner thespian in our beginning Drama elective. During our semester together, we’ll explore the basics of theater performance, learn how to move properly, and work with vocal techniques. After learning all the basics, the semester ends with student groups writing and performing their own play, complete with scenery, props, and costumes.
- Exploring Technology/Coding: A computer science course which helps nurture problem solving, logic and creativity. This course will teach basic computer science skills and de-mystify code, showing anyone can learn the basics.
- Introduction to Art Grades 5-8: This course is designed to give student exposure to the Secondary Curriculum of Visual and Performance Art Standards.
- Step Up to Middle School Math: An elective support course for students in grades 6–8 and is taken concurrently with their grade-level math course, at the recommendation of the teacher. It is designed for students whose placement indicators show a need for targeted support to ensure success. The course provides remediation for gaps in students’ learning, front loads crucial concepts, and provides parallel lessons to build prerequisite skills. This course replaces the district’s math Advancement Academy courses. l Math.
- Study Skills: Students will spend the semester working on middle school study skills development. Study Skills programs and services are offered for students who need extra support in academic areas. Students are identified and assigned for this program based upon tests scores, academic grades, individual need, or specialized academic programs.
This one-year music class concentrates on the performance of the following instruments; flute, oboe, clarinet, saxophone, bassoon, trumpet, French horn, trombone, baritone, tuba, percussion, violin, viola, cello and string bass. Students enrolled in music will not be placed in the Exploration Wheel classes.