LJHS WORK PERMIT REQUIREMENTS
All minors under age 18 (including minors employed by parents) must have a work permit.
Students may turn in a work permit at any time. They will be processed within 24 hours if form has been filled out completely and there are no extenuating circumstances. Students can pick-up their authorized work permit during lunch or after school.
In order to have a Work Permit authorized, students are required to meet minimum criteria.
The high school staff’s first priority is to make sure students are making satisfactory progress toward graduation before being permitted work.
LJHS criteria to obtain a Work Permit:
- Academic GPA of 2.0 or higher (cumulative as well as each progress report)
- Citizenship GPA of 2.0 or higher each progress/grading report period - NO "U"
- Meet satisfactory attendance policy - demonstrated by few tardies, absences, and No truancy
- Adequate progress toward graduation - meaning correct number of credits earned for courses taken and years enrolled in high school.
- No major behavioral incidents for current school year
LJHS staff reserves the right to deny or revoke a work permit at any time that the student falls below these minimum standards once the work permit has been issued. Site staff or district staff will contact the student, parent and employer in the event that the work permit must be revoked. If a Work Permit is denied, student may appeal after a 6 week period. If student has demonstrated an improvement then a Work Permit may be issued, but may include restrictions at the discretion of LJHS staff.
LJHS only accepts the work permits provided from San Diego Unified School District and will not
accept any other State Work Permit. Work Permits are valid for one school year, and must be renewed every school year in September. Students are required to obtain work permits even during the summer months.