The Health and Wellness Committee of LJHS is comprised of staff, parents, students, and community members. We want to provide information, strategies, wellness tips, resources and more. We are also coordinating programs with the school counselors, nurse, and ASB/school clubs throughout the year to educate and support students and staff.
- Each Mind Matters-California: www.eachmindmatters.org
- Access and Crisis Line: https://www.optumhealthsandiego.com/content/sandiego/en/access---crisis-line.html
- UP2SD Crisis Line - Free assistance 7 days a week / 24 hours a day: (888) 724-7240
- UP2SD Resources for Youth and Young Adults: https://up2sd.org/resources/young-adults1/
- 211 San Diego: http://211sandiego.org/ (Connects people with community, health and disaster services through a free 24/7 database)
- Behavior Health Services San Diego: www.sandiegocounty.gov/hhsa/programs/bhs/
- National Institute for Mental Health: www.nimh.nih.gov
- National Alliance on Mental Illness, San Diego: www.namisandiego.org/
Student Supports: http://www.sandiegounified.org/support
District Wellness Resources: https://www.sandiegounified.org/wellness-resources
Mental Health Awareness
- Know the warning signs: https://www.nami.org/Learn-More/Know-the-Warning-Signs
- Learn more about mental health: http://teenmentalhealth.org/
- Get help for you or a loved one: https://www.mentalhelp.net/
- Facts parents should know about mental illness in teens: https://www.pennmedicine.org/updates/blogs/health-and-wellness/2017/may/teens-mental-health
- Screen Time Linked to ADHD? https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/17/health/adhd-symptoms-digital-media-study/index.html
- Great CNN video report on student vaping: https://www.cnn.com/videos/health/2018/04/06/high-school-students-vaping-e-cigarettes-gupta-orig.cnn
- Learn more about cancer-causing chemicals in electronic cigarettes/vapes: www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/teen-inhale-cancer-causing-chemicals-e-cigarettes-n853611
- Vaping Video (2:02 minutes): https://youtu.be/wBR1Dpiorrg
- Detailed report (Am. Heart Assoc.) about e-cigarettes: http://jaha.ahajournals.org/content/6/9/e006353
- Students on our Health & Wellness Committee created educational posters for campus!
- Vaping Quick Links https://www.livescience.com/topics/vaping
- Lessons Learned from Marijuana Legalization in 4 U.S. States & D.C. (March 2018) - https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5541a76ae4b0175cee8827d0/t/5af1ee6b758d467269366731/1525804660152/SAM-Lessons-Learned-From-Marijuana-Legalization-Digital.pdf
- The Impacts of Adolescent Alcohol & Marijuana Use Onset on Cognition, Brain Function and Structure: https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fpsyt.2013.00053/full
- Marijuana: Facts Parents Need to Know https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/marijuana-facts-parents-need-to-know/letter-to-parents
- Marijuana: Facts for Teens https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/marijuana-facts-teens/letter-to-teens
- Marijuana Talking Points for Parents & Teens https://www.aafp.org/afp/2018/0715/p80-s1.html
Prescription Drug Awareness
- Helpful and concise article: https://teens.drugabuse.gov/drug-facts/prescription-drugs
- Community Resource: McCalister: http://www.mcalisterinc.org/
- Article about link between teen suicide and prescription drug abuse: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-adolescents-drugs-suicide/prescription-drug-abuse-tied-to-increased-risk-of-teen-suicide-idUSKCN10Q1T1
- Comprehensive guide for parents/families from DEA: https://www.dea.gov/pr/multimedia-library/publications/prescription_for_disaster_english.pdf
- We End Violence (Jeff Bucholtz) assemblies for all grade levels.
- Article: https://kidshealth.org/en/teens/healthy-relationship.html
- Community Resource: Center for Community Solutions: http://www.ccssd.org
- “Our mission at Center for Community Solutions is to end relationship and sexual violence by being a catalyst for caring communities and social justice.”
- Ted Talk on how happiness inspires us to be more productive.. Shawn Achor, “The Happy Secret...” (12:14 min.) A fast-moving, funny talk.
- Article: “How Positive Psychology Can Improve Student Success” https://health.usnews.com/wellness/mind/articles/2019-01-18/how-positive-psychology-can-improve-student-success
*More adolescents than ever are struggling from anxiety. Over the last ten years, anxiety has surpassed depression as the most common reason teens seek counseling services.
- Common signs and symptoms of anxiety in teens. What to look for:
- Article about teens abusing RX drugs to self-medicate: https://drugfree.org/learn/drug-and-alcohol-news/teens-abusing-prescription-drugs-may-just-want-get-high-research-suggests/
- Kevin Love (NBA) opens up about his experiences: https://www.yahoo.com/sports/kevin-love-opens-experience-panic-attacks-therapy-need-185559305.html?.tsrc=fauxdal
- Mindfulness Resources: http://mindfulnessforteens.com/resources/
- Please visit your school counselor and school nurse for many resources and tips for managing anxiety.
- Common signs and symptoms of depression in teens. What to look for:
- Resource with more information and how to get help.
- Check out this free webinar: Teen Depression: What Families and Schools Can Do: http://ibpf.org/article/teen-depression-what-families-and-schools-can-do-reluctant-teens
- Please visit your school counselor and school nurse for many resources and tips for managing depression.
- *Did you know…
- -56% of LJHS Juniors reported having used alcohol or drugs?
- -1 of 4 LJHS Juniors reported being a current binge drinker (defined as 5 or more drinks in a row)?
- -63% of LJHS Freshmen report that it is easy to get alcohol and 76% of LJHS Juniors say the same.
- -More than half of the students believe that there is no harm or just slight harm in alcohol use.
- -About half of students get alcohol from their home and between 1/2 and 2/3 from a party/event.
*Based on the most recent data from the CA Healthy Kids Survey.
- New California 911 Lifeline Legislation to protect minors from prosecution when reporting Alcohol related emergencies. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mK9t4V4lXROMLsUs2X4dBMpmPA9nmcQShwPnSsdaWZ4/edit?usp=sharing
- Resources to prevent adolescent alcohol use for: adolescents, parents, educators and communities. https://www.hhs.gov/ash/oah/adolescent-development/substance-use/alcohol/resources/index.html
- A Message to Teenagers: How to tell when drinking is becoming a problem. - https://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/f-9_amessagetoteenagers-1.pdf
- Recovery Support Groups for Teens - https://www.alcohol.org/teens/teen-support/
- Alcoholics Anonymous: Message to Teenagers - https://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/aa-literature/f-9-a-message-to-teenagers
- Al-Anon-Alateen: 888 425-2666
- Alcoholics Anonymous World Services: 212 870-3400
Self-Care and Coping
- Article from Berkeley “Five Ways to Help Teens Feel Good About Themselves” https://greatergood.berkeley.edu/article/item/five_ways_to_help_teens_feel_good_about_themselves
- Article “Invest in Yourselves! Teens Benefit When Parents Commit to Self-Care” https://parentandteen.com/invest-in-yourself/
- Article “Teach Your Teenager Coping Skills for Wellbeing” https://parents.au.reachout.com/skills%20to%20build/wellbeing/things%20to%20try%20coping%20skills%20and%20resilience/teach%20your%20teenager%20coping%20skills%20for%20wellbeing
- Article “Teach Your Teenager To Be Resilient” https://parents.au.reachout.com/skills%20to%20build/wellbeing/things%20to%20try%20coping%20skills%20and%20resilience/teach%20your%20teenager%20to%20be%20resilient
- General coping skills for adults and teens: https://positivepsychologyprogram.com/coping-skills-worksheets/
- Self-care article for teens: http://camhs.cnwl.nhs.uk/young-people-adolescents/mental-health-tips-coping-strategies/
- Stress-coping skills: https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/the-race-good-health/201501/teens-and-stress-practical-coping-skills