*In Spark: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain, Dr. John Ratey.
"Aerobic exercise prepares the brain to learn, improves mood and attention, lowers stress and anxiety, helps stave off addiction, controls the sometimes tumultuous effects of hormonal changes, and guards against and even reverses some of the effects of aging on the brain."
Running Club Rules for 1st-5th graders
- Running Club begins in September
- Running Club will take place before school every day if the weather permits. If the weather is 90 degrees or higher - running club will be canceled.
- Running will start at 7:27 and when both gates have been opened and will end no later than 7:40
- Extra laps cannot be run once running club is over.
- Students will receive a ticket for every lap they run
- Students can only run a maximum total of four laps each morning.
- Tickets are non-transferable
- Only laps run before school during the running club will count towards receiving tokens.
- Students will turn in tickets to their teachers and the teachers will record the number of laps ran.
- Students will receive tokens when they have run the following distance: 5 miles, 10 miles, 20 miles, 30 miles, 40 miles, 50 miles, 60 miles, 70 miles, etc.
- At each tribal council meeting students receiving tokens will be recognized for their achievement.
- Running club is offered to 1st-5th graders only for safety reasons.
Why do we have a Running Club?
The purpose of the Kumeyaay Running Club is to promote physical fitness, the
enjoyment of participating in an activity with schoolmates, and to start the day off with
some fun. Whether someone runs one lap a day or four is not important. Trying your
best is what counts – and having fun!