The board of Education has approved the following Zero Tolerance Policy:
· Use, possession or brandishing of a weapon will result in a recommendation for expulsion. A weapon is defined as, but not limited to, a firearm, pistol replica, starter pistol, stun gun, BB gun or pellet gun, a knife of any kind or any look-a-like like weapon of any size or type, a dirk, dagger, razor, slingshot, any explosives or fireworks. Any object used in dangerous manner will also be considered a weapon.
· Repeated incidents of fighting, violent acts, or causing serious injury to another person will result in a recommendation for expulsion.
· Attempting to commit or committing a sexual battery.
· Our district has a NO ALCOHOL, TOBACCO, or other DRUG USE POLICY. If you are found to be selling or furnishing controlled prohibited substances, you will be recommended for expulsion on your first offense. For possession or use expulsion will be recommended on your third offense, except for tobacco offenses; if you are found in possession of tobacco you will be recommended for expulsion on your fourth offense.
· In addition to discipline, if you are found to have violated the law you may be arrested and taken to a juvenile detention facility.
· Expulsion from San Diego Unified School District will result in the loss of your privileges to attend school or extracurricular activities. You may be placed in an alternative school or program.
· The Zero Tolerance Policy requires a recommendation for expulsion if the offenses occurs on school campus or at a school activity, whether on or off campus.
· Expulsion may be recommended for an offense that occurs during lunch period, off campus, or while going to or from or during a school-sponsored activity.
The Zero Tolerance Policy is designed to make our school a safe environment and to provide an appropriate learning environment for you and other students. There can be no acceptable reason for violating these rules.
Note: A copy of the Zero Tolerance Policy will be sent home with your child to obtain your signature of acknowledgement. Please return the signed form to his/her teacher.