To increase students’ opportunities for success academically, we have established the following attendance policies:
Absences must be cleared with a note or a call from the parent/guardian within three days of the absence. If not, the absence will be considered “unexcused” or “truant.”
Make up of absences
Students must make up work missed, due to absences, within a reasonable amount of time. The student must make arrangements with his/her teachers. Students may not make up work for unexcused absences.
Saturday School is from 8:00 am until 12:00 noon on designated Saturdays. Students will be assigned Saturday School for the following reasons: truancies, unexcused absences, four or more tardies, and absences exceeding five days in a nine week period.
In order to ensure that students are regularly on time for classes, random tardy sweeps will be conducted throughout the school year. Students caught in a tardy sweep will be assigned
Medical Appointments should be scheduled outside of school hours to ensure that students receive maximum opportunities for instruction. A signed Doctor’s/Dentist’s note is required to excuse these absences. If your child must be excused during the school day for a medical appointment, please call the office. The student must sign out in the CTA office before leaving campus.
Students may not leave the campus under any circumstances without the school receiving authorized permission from a parent/guardian. The student must sign out in the CTA office before leaving campus. Students leaving the site without authorization will be considered “truant.”
Release for Athletic Competition
Students will not be released from class for athletic games or matches unless they meet the following criteria: 1) His or her name is on the mass release form sent by the coach to the teacher 48 hours in advance, 2) He or she has a “C” or better in the class he or she is released from, and 3) The teacher agrees to the release.
Contract Independent Study
In the case of emergencies that meet the guidelines of Administrative Procedure 4316, the principal may grant a contract for up to 20 days in a school year. If a contract is granted, the student must turn in the contracted work on the day he or she returns to receive credit for missed work. Contracts are not issued for vacations.
Education Code sections 46010 and 48205 identify acceptable reasons for absences as follows:
(These absences still count against seat time for earning credits.)
· Personal illness: School may require doctor’s note, especially if absences are excessive.
· Personal medical/dental appointment: Requires signed doctor/dentist note
· Funeral services of parent, sibling, grandparent, or any relative living in the child’s immediate household: Limited to one day in
· Personal court appearance: Requires verification
· District-recognized religious holiday
· Car problems, traffic, etc.
· Personal or family problems
· Going out of town for vacation or any reason not excused above
· Babysitting or taking care of other family members
· Going to work with parent or other family members
· Alarm didn’t go off,” etc.