Office of Language Aquisition
- Students will develop high levels of proficiency in their primary language and a second language.
- Academic performance will be at or above grade level in all content areas.
- Students will attain the Pathway to Biliteracy Awards in Kindergarten, 5th and 8th grade and the SDUSD Seal of Biliteracy in 12th grade.
- Students will demonstrate positive cross-cultural attitudes and behaviors.
For additional information, please visit Guiding Principles for Dual Language Education.
One-Way Foreign Language Immersion
Foreign language immersion programs, also referred to as One-Way Immersion programs, are designed for English speaking students to acquire a second language. They vary in intensity and structure according to the model implemented. Schools in our district currently offering this program are:
- Barnard Elementary K-6, Mandarin Immersion
- Gage Elementary K-5, Spanish Immersion
- Language Academy K-8, French Immersion
- Longfellow K-8, Spanish Immersion
- John Muir Language Academy K-8, Spanish Immersion
Tools for Parents
- Supporting Readers at home PPT
- Palabras de Uso Frecuente - Kindergarten and First Grade
- Kindergarten / 1st Grade Parent Learning Series #1 PPT
How can I help my child at home?
Read to your child in either language:
- Ask them to retell the story using words like first, then, finally.
- Ask them to dezcribe the setting.
- Ask them to identify the problem and solution.
- Set time aside for your child to read to you in Spanish.
Understand the Grade Level Reading Expectations:
- SDUSD Grade Level Reading Expectations and Reading Assessment Crosswalk
- SDUSD Instructional Reading Levels Correlation Chart
Know how language acquisition is assessed:
Help your student practice at home:
- Practice the alphabet
- Practice the letter sounds
- Practice the numbers 1-30
- Practicice the Kindergarten and First Grade high frequency words in Spanish
- New Recommended Word Lists for Reading Levels A-J in Spanish Grades TK-K
- New E to J Reading Strategy Back to Back Cards in Spanish Grade 1
- Kinder High Frequency Words (HFW)
- Kinder Phonics
- 1st Grade High Frequency Words (HFW)
- 1st Grade Phonics