In California, public schools cannot charge fees or require parents to purchase supplies -- with a few exceptions. That being said, many parents ask what supplies are helpful to have in middle school.
The following list was compiled at the request of parents and with input from students. Students noted that the following supplies were most helpful in their middle school experience.
- minimum of 5 sharpened pencils
- personal pencil sharpener (with a cap) or lead for mechanical pencils
- blue and black ink pens (preferably erasable - Pilot friXion brand are recommended)
- red/green correcting pen
- white board marker and eraser (for math)
- 2 highlighters
- colored pencils
- 2 spiral notebooks (with at least 70 pages) – one for math and one for science
- 1 college-ruled writing journal (not spiral)
- 1 college-ruled spiral notebook with no dividers (with at least 100 pages)
- three-ring binder with pocket dividers
- glue stick or roll of tape
- storage for pencils and other small objects, such as a pencil pouch or plastic carrying case.
- headphones or ear buds
- basic calculator (for math)
- reusable water bottle
- pair of scissors
- ruled notebook paper