Welcome Room 210
Kindergartners and Families!!!
Thank you for coming to Kindergarten Orientation today! Please make yourself at home in our classroom. It is still a work in progress and will continue to be throughout the year. Once the students arrive, we will work to make it “home”.
This is going to be another great year at EBS. You and your Kindergartner will love Everybody’s Best School! I am sure you have questions about the first week of school and the year ahead. If your questions were not answered during my Back To School Night presentation, or if you have additional questions specific to my classroom, please feel free to ask me at any time. If we didn’t get a chance to chat today, you can always reach me by e-mail at email@example.com or by phone (858.693.8593 ext. 4210)
(I do check my email more consistently throughout the day.) In any situation where you need to make sure I get a message before the end of the school day, please leave a message with the front office noted “urgent” and they will find me.
During the first couple of weeks of school, there will be many informative letters coming home regarding our classroom and EBS procedures. Please check your child’s folder and backpack each day to see if any new materials were sent home. For information about school wide activities, please check the EBS website: www.sandiegounified.org/schools/eb-scripps or our AFP web site at www.ebs-afp.org. I may also send home information pertaining to just our class via e-mail and in my weekly newsletter. Thanks :0)
On Monday your child will be able to walk the red carpet on the first day of school starting at 8:00 am. The front gate will open at 8:30 am. School will start at 8:45 am and at that time, we will begin our first day of Kindergarten together! Encourage your child to hang up their backpack and put their snack in the tub. Don’t worry if your child is anxious or a bit teary when you try to say goodbye. They quickly jump into the day when all the parents leave and the emotions of drop-off time end. Don’t forget to bring your cameras! We will do a class photo and wave good-bye before we enter the classroom. I ask that parents do not follow us inside, as this just prolongs the moment of separation.… don’t worry YOU will be fine. :0)
Don’t forget: Pick-up for all kindergartners is at 12:30 pm for the first week of school. All students will be picked up from our exterior classroom door. Starting the 2nd week of school, dismissal will be at 3:15 (M, T, W, & F). Thursdays are minimum days and all students will be dismissed from our classroom door at 12:30 pm.
We are going to have a GREAT year!
)~ Cherin Aguilar :0
A Few Reminders for the First Day of School
* The beginning of the school year is one of the most hectic and busy times in our school making parking tough. Please allow yourself enough time to find a parking spot and walk your child to class before the bell at 8:45 am. The parking lot will be closed to parents during drop-off and pick-up times. Parking is available on the street, at Community Park, or the Community Center. Drop-off/pick-up is located in the 2 white zones in front of the school. Drivers must remain in their vehicles in these white zones. Please do not park in these drop-off/pick-up zones.
Please be respectful of the safety patrol and follow their directions and signs, drive slowly, and use extreme caution. The safety patrol also asks that you refrain from using your cell phones while driving through the school zone. The safety of our children is our #1 priority!
The school parking lot is closed for parent parking during school hours. Spaces are reserved for school personnel only. Please park on the street.
* Please label everything with your child’s name and room number that he/she brings to school - this may include backpacks, lunch/snack bags, jackets, sweaters, hats, etc. This will help make sure everything gets back to the right child :)!
* School starts at 8:45. You may come on campus at 8:30 when the first bell rings and the gates open. All children will be expected to be in line by 8:40am. Playing on the playground is not permitted before and after school. We ask that parents help to monitor their children (including siblings) to reinforce this rule. Please have your child place their snack sack and lunch box in the appropriate tubs. The students will be expected to line-up behind our designated dot with your homework folder and book bag. (More info will be given about these during the first week of school.) At 8:45, we will welcome the children in and we will be ready to start our exciting day together! Students will need to get a tardy slip from the front office if they are not in class by 8:45 am. A permission to leave the school grounds early slip must be obtained from the office before a teacher can release a student from class. Kindergartners must be picked up at their classroom by an adult specified on the info card in the front office or by an older sibling.
*Please Note: We, as a Kindergarten team, strive to make the children responsible and independent thinkers and learners. Please encourage your child to place their own snack and lunch in the appropriate tubs. They will also need to put their folders and take-home book bags in tubs as they walk through the door.
* Snack & Lunch/Recess: (M, T, W, F) All TK/K students will have a 15 min. break to eat a healthy snack and then an additional 15 min. to play on the playground. Any student who is unable to finish eating up at the lunch arbor is permitted to continue eating at the yellow tables on the K playground. A second break for lunch is given later in the day. The students always eat first and play after they are dismissed. Please see your teacher’s schedule for their snack and lunch times.
Please note: There will be no snack break on Thursdays. There will only be a lunch/recess period. All students, including TK students, will be dismissed from their classroom at 12:30 pm.
* If your child brings a snack and lunch from home, they need to be packed in two separate bags/containers (one labeled “snack” and one labeled “lunch”) each with their name clearly labeled on it. All food inside the snack/lunch bags should be in sealed Ziploc bags or containers due to the ant problem here at EBS. This will help keep the ants away from our classroom! If your child chooses, hot/cold snacks can be purchased in the cafeteria for $1.00, and hot lunches can be purchased for $2.25. Milk is also available for purchase for $.50. All students are set up with a lunch PIN and lunch accounts can be set up through the school office or on-line on the district website (sandi.net). We do ask that for the first week or two of school, the children bring their food from home and gradually ease into purchasing food from the cafeteria, as they are adjusting to so many new things all at once. It is important however, to please remind your child in the morning whether they are bringing or buying lunch for our hot lunch count. Once your child is ready to begin getting hot food from the cafeteria, please let your teacher know and they will accompany them into the cafeteria until they can navigate the cafeteria on their own.
* Please make sure your child is wearing comfortable and safe shoes for playing on the playground everyday. Open toed/heeled shoes are not permitted. Girls - please wear shorts under dresses/skirts and spaghetti straps are not permitted.
* You may want to put sunscreen on your child before they come to school each day - they will be playing outside during recess and lunch. You may also send your child to school with a hat and/or sunglasses if he/she would like to wear them when they go outside.
* While it is hot, the children get very thirsty outside at recess and lunch - it is very important that they drink plenty of water. It may be a good idea to send a water bottle in their snack or lunch to drink while they are outside at recess. Water bottles can be kept at their desks during the day. Only water is allowed inside the classroom.
* The classroom weekly volunteers will begin after 3 weeks of school and after the students have begun to settle. *** All parent volunteers must have a volunteer application filled out and turned into the office FIRST and a cleared TB test before volunteering. We encourage both parents to get cleared so they are able to volunteer in any capacity throughout the year, including classroom celebrations. An additional Category “D” clearance is required to be a field trip chaperone or to work with students unsupervised by the teacher.
* Birthday celebrations occur during the last 15 minutes of the school day. Please give your child's teacher 2-3 days advance notice. Due to a strict district food policy, you may provide for your child’s class with: a non-edible goodie bag OR a 100% fruit juice popsicle. Please consult the EBS website to look up our specific policy and acceptable options.
* We will supply all necessary classroom supplies for the students to use. Students must have a backpack large enough to fit his or her classroom folder, their lunch box, and snack sack. Please leave all other non-school necessary items at home, such as toys. Remember, NO ROLLING BACKPACKS!
* Please check your child's backpack and take-home folder nightly. Please empty folders of excess papers and materials each night.
Homework folders need to be returned to school daily.
* The best way to contact your child's teacher is via email. If you have any information or special circumstances that needs to be shared with your child's teacher throughout the year, please write it down. Verbal information is easily forgotten.
* Vacation Contracts - are not encouraged. Please schedule your family vacations during our school breaks. If a vacation is inevitable, please notify the office 2 weeks before departure so a vacation contract can be filled out and approved for any absences that will be 5 days or longer. This also gives your child's teacher enough time to compile the work your child will need to complete during their absence.
* Dismissal on M, T, W, & F is at 3:15. Thursdays are minimum days - dismissal is at 12:30.
TK students will be dismissed each day at 12:30. M, T, W, & F they will be dismissed through the front gate by Mrs. Miller, and Thursdays TKs will be dismissed from their classroom.
* Students who attend SAY and other before and after school programs will be dropped off at their line-up spot after 8:30 am and picked up at their kindergarten classroom. Please let your child’s teacher know if your child will be picked up by an after school program.
We are looking forward to getting to know you and your child.
We are going to have a great year!!!
~ The Kindergarten Team