Welcome to Speech & Language!
Hello and welcome to a new school year! My name is Aizel Agustino and I am the speech-language pathologist (SLP) here at E. B. Scripps.
This is my second year as an SLP with San Diego Unified School District. Last year, I enjoyed working with TK-5th grade students as an SLP at E. B. Scripps, Jerabek, and Ericson Elementary Schools. This year, I will be at E. B. Scripps 3 days/week on Mondays, Tuesdays, & Wednesdays.
· Fun fact: My name, Aizel (pronounced “eye-ZELL”), came from a dream my mom had before I was born!
· I grew up in Imperial Beach, CA, but have also lived in the Bay Area and Orange County.
· Education: B.A. in Psychology & minor in Music from UC Berkeley (2010). Post-baccalaureate in Communicative Disorders from CSU Fullerton (2014). M.A. in Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences from San Diego State University (2016).
· Why I became an SLP: After I earned my bachelor’s degree, I moved back to San Diego and worked for a few years as an Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) therapist for children on the autism spectrum. I fell in love with the idea of working with children and saw the value of communication in their lives, so I went back to school to pursue a career in speech and language. I definitely made the right choice! J
· Hobbies: singing, playing guitar, songwriting, art, dancing, traveling, & exploring new food spots with my husband!
When will speech/language services start?
I will coordinate with our wonderful teachers, education specialists, and other related service providers (e.g., OT, PT, APE teacher) to develop a speech/language service schedule that will work best to serve our students’ needs. Observations and classroom visits may be needed to establish appropriate groups for students with Individualized Education Programs (IEPs). Regular therapy times will be established over the first few weeks of school, but adjustments may be made as the year goes on based on student needs.
I begin speech/language therapy by collecting baseline data during a typical speech/language therapy session. I will collect data for the next few weeks and use it to assess progress over the year.
Speech/language resources for families
· Typical speech and language development: http://www.asha.org/public/speech/development/
· SLPs - Who we are, what we do, & how we do it: http://goo.gl/QfS9A8
· Days on campus: Mondays, Tuesdays, & Wednesdays
· Room number: 258 (Please note that my classroom has moved from the previous school year)
· Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
· Phone number: (858) 693-8593 x4258
Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or concerns. Email is generally the quickest way to contact me during the school day. You can also send a note with your son/daughter if that is easiest.
I am looking forward to a wonderful year!
With warm regards,
Aizel Agustino, M.A., CCC-SLP