Student Drop Off
Adults delivering children to school should leave them at the front gate.
|Kindergarten and TK:||Parents drop off students on the kindergarten playground.|
|Grade 1||Students line up in front of their classrooms.|
|Grades 2-5:||All students should go directly to the blacktop line up area. Supervision is provided at the blacktop area and various high-traffic points on campus.|
To reduce the risk of injury:
- Always use child safety seats and safety belts correctly.
- Arrive early—especially the first few weeks of school—and use the school's designated student drop-off and pick-up zones.
- Do not double park or make U-turns in front of the school. Police officers are issuing citations for traffic violations and there is no warning or grace period.
- Children should enter and leave the car on its curb side.
- Never let children under age 10 cross the street alone.
- Teach children to recognize and obey traffic signage.
- Practice walking the safest route between home and school with your children until they demonstrate traffic safety awareness.
Remind children to:
- Cross streets only at crosswalks. Do not cross the street between parked cars or from behind shrubbery.
- Always look both ways before crossing the street.
- Walk--don't run--across intersections.
- Cross only if a steady, illuminated WALK (or walking person) signal is displayed. A flashing "DO NOT WALK" (or hand) sign means it is not safe to cross.
- Use the same route every day and avoid shortcuts.
- Refrain from speaking to strangers. If a stranger approaches, tell a trusted adult such as a parent or teacher.
- Do not walk through the parking lot to or from school.
Bicycles: Student grades 4 and up are allowed to ride bicycles to school
Bicycles are associated with more childhood injuries than any other consumer product except the car. For this reason, the San Diego Police Department requests that only students in grades four and above ride bicycles to school. Although the school has designated an area at the exit gates at the rear of the school for students to park bicycles, the San Diego Unified School District is not responsible for theft, damage or loss of use to any bicycle, equipment or article left in or around this area. All such risk is assumed by the student.
All bicycles should have locks and licenses. Students are urged to secure their bicycles in an appropriate manner by using a quality lock and chain or other device.
Obey the rules of the road, which are the same for all vehicles, including bicycles:
- Stay on the right-hand side of the road.
- Ride in the same direction as traffic.
- Know and use appropriate hand signals.
Choose the safest route between home and school and practice it with children until they can demonstrate traffic safety awareness.
Please meet your child at the front gate. Cars should not enter the parking lot at any time between the hours of 8 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. Please ensure the safety of all students by not parking in the bus loading area and/or asking your child(ren) to cross the street without a crossing guard present. The school's main concern is the health and safety of your children.
Specific dismissal procedures vary by grade level, as indicated below:
|Kindergarten and TK:||Students are dismissed from the classroom area by their teacher upon seeing a responsible adult or older sibling. Older siblings must come to the kindergarten room to pick up younger siblings.|
|Grades 1-3:||Teachers walk all students to the front entrance of school. All students must be picked up at the front entrance whether they walk home with an older sibling or are picked up by an adult.|
|Grades 4-5:||Teachers dismiss students from the classroom, and they should leave campus via the front entrance. If they are responsible for a younger student, they must go to the front of school or the kindergarten yard to pick them up and then promptly head home.|
|Social Advocates for Youth Extended Day Program Students:||All SAY and licensed day care program students are dismissed from their classrooms and sent to the SAY classroom for check-in. Kindergarten students are picked up at their classrooms by a SAY staff member. Students participating in enrichment and reinforcement programs report to their designated classrooms immediately following dismissal.|
|Bus Students:||All buses park in the loading/unloading zone located in the parking lot.All bus students will line up at the marked bus area and wait to be called to their bus or by a staff member.|
If you are more than 10 minutes late to pick up a student, please go to the front office. You may be asked to provide identification. Please review the Visitors Policy page for additional information.