Point Loma/Hervey Branch Library
1) Free Homework Help- "BrainFuse Help Now" isa free tutoring program for students. Help Now actually has three differentcomponents: Expert Help - working with alive tutor online students can receive tutor help, take practice tests, use thewriting lab, and use the language lab for help learning a new language. A StudyProgram- this area has flash cards anddiagnostics tests. It even has an area for discovering possible college majorsthat fit your skills and likes. Lastly, Collaborative - a place online where students can meet and studytogether.
2) Free ComputerUsage. We have 5 dedicated Juvenile computers that students can use for 2 hoursa day. Each computer has Word, Excel, and Power Point that they can use. Alibrary card is needed to reserve a computer.
3) After School Movies. We present free, popular moviesin our Community Room on varies Thursday afternoons. Free Refreshments are alsooffered.
4) Chess Club. Every Thursday at 2:00pm we offerchess. We have a special volunteer, Mr.Keith, from the San Diego Chess Club that oversee the program. He gladly willteach student the game or play a game with them if they would like.
5) Lego Club. Our Lego club had been very successful. Wehave built 9 great projects. The program is on Wednesdays from 3:30 pm until4:30pm. We build the best projects andproudly display them after completion.
6) Wii B'Gamim' X Box 360. Our gaming program featuresgames from both the Nintendo Wii and Microsoft's X box. Games are picked byparticipants. There is a tournament each month on the last Friday of the month.Prizes are movie tickets, Game Stop gift cards, and more. This program is everyFriday from 2:30pm until 5:00pm.
7) Special Programs - We have special kids &teen programs throughout the year. AHalloween party, student parties, and special reading parties that areannounced through our monthly flyer.
8) Free Online Databases. We offer 13 dedicated kids& teens databases that are free to use on our catalog computers in thelibrary. Subject areas are science,music, biographies, World Book Portal, Opposing Viewpoints, and more.
9) Kids and Teens magazine- We have just about everymonthly magazine for kids and teens. Latest copies can be read in the librarywhile older copies can be checked out.
10) A great place to study. Students coming to thelibrary can use most of our resources while they are here. We have a lot oftext books from Dana Middle School that can be used in the library with alibrary card or student id. We supply a safe, quiet environment for all of ourpatrons visiting the library.