The Family Life Parent Preview night will be scheduled in the spring from 5:30 to 6:30 PM in the Dana Library.
California state law, the California Healthy Youth Act, requires that comprehensive sexual health and HIV prevention education be provided to students at least once in middle school and once in high school, starting in grade 7. A school district may also provide comprehensive sexual health or HIV prevention education earlier than grade 7 consisting of age-appropriate instruction and medically accurate information on any of the general topics. In keeping with these requirements and guidelines, San Diego Unified School District offers comprehensive sexual health education in grades 6, 8 and high school.
Instruction must be inclusive of all students, encourage students to communicate with parents or guardians about human sexuality, and provide students with the knowledge and skills they need to develop healthy attitudes concerning adolescent growth and development. Thefollowing topics must be included:
- Information about HIV and other sexually transmitted infections (STIs), including transmission, FDA approved methods to prevent HIV and STIs, and treatment
- Information that abstinence is the only certain way to prevent unintended pregnancy, HIV,and other STIs, and information about the value of delaying sexual activity
- Discussion about social views of HIV and AIDS
- Information about gender, sexual orientation, and the harm of negative stereotypes
- Information about healthy relationships and avoiding unhealthy behaviors and situations
Instruction at Dana Middle will be provided by Social Studies classroom teachers trained in the curriculum. Instruction includes 10 separate lessons and will be taught between March 12-23, 2018.
For your information, a copy of the Education Codes pertaining to HIV/AIDS instruction and sex education can be found on the District website at https://www.sandiegounified.org/sexual-health-education-public.
This program will be taught at Dana Middle for a total of ten days between March 12th and March 23rd. If you do not want your child to participate in these lessons, please contact your child’s Social Studies Teacher.