CORREIA MIDDLE SCHOOL
Parent & Family Engagement Policy
Correia Middle School has developed a written Parent & Family Engagement Policy with input from parents. Throughout the year Correia works with parent groups (SSC, SGT, Correia Association, CIMA) to solicit input regarding parent involvement and engagement. The parent involvement policy was developed by the Correia Middle SSC and SGT committees which is comprised of teachers, school staff members, and parents.
Correia Middle School distributes the Parent & Family Engagement Policy electronically at the beginning of the year and has been posted on the Correia Middle website. In addition, hard copies are available for parents during Parent Teacher Conferences in October.
This policy describes the means for carrying out parent and family engagement requirements pursuant to ESSA Section 1116(c).
Each school served under this part shall jointly develop with, and distribute to, parents and family members of participating children a written parent and family engagement policy, agreed on by such parents, that shall describe the means for carrying out the requirements of subsections (c) through (f). How are parents notified of the policy in an understandable and uniform format and, to the extent practicable, provided in a language the parents can understand? How is the policy is made available to the local community? How and when is the policy updated periodically to meet the changing needs of parents and the school (ESSA Section 1116[b])?
To involve parents at Correia Middle, the following practices have been established:
· The school convenes an annual meeting to inform parents and about the right of parents to be involved in the school program.
- Each fall we hold an annual Curriculum Night for all parents to learn how parents can support their child’s education and how the school supports their child daily.
· The school offers a flexible number of meetings, such as meetings in the morning or evening.
- At Correia Middle School, we are committed to provide a flexible number of meetings to engage parents in order to increase student achievement. In order to build the bridge between home and school, we have a variety of opportunities for parents to become involved with their student’s education. We also have several committees to encourage parent involvement such as School Site Council (SSC), Site Governance Team (SGT), English Learner Advisory Committee (ELAC) and the Correia Association.
· The school involves parents in an organized, ongoing, and timely way, in the planning, review, and improvement of the school’s program and the parental involvement policy.
- At Correia Middle, we have monthly meetings scheduled for the parent groups such as School Site Council (SSC), Site Governance Team (SGT), English Learner Advisory Committee (ELAC) and Correia Association. Topics covered during the meetings will include, but are not limited to:
· Improving communication between school and home
· Providing strategies for parents to assist students with projects and homework
· Discussing current student assessment data and student progress
· Providing information about school and District resources for student academic improvement
· Evaluating the effectiveness of the school’s parent involvement policy to increase parent involvement
· Evaluating the instructional program at Correia
· Reviewing the Single Plan for Student Achievement (SPSA)
· Conferencing with teachers
· Providing training programs to help parents support and work with their student at home and at school
· Understanding Correia and District budgets
· Incorporating more parent volunteers at school
· Finding fundraisers to help support Correia
· The school provides parents of with timely information about school programs. Information about Correia Middle is distributed in the following ways:
· Correia Middle website;
· Weekly e-blasts & School Messenger notifications;
· Principal Chats;
· Parent Tours;
· Parent meetings such as Back to School Night, and Open House;
· Informational sessions offered for parents throughout the school year in conjunction with the Point Loma cluster schools and a variety of technical and instructional topics;
· The school provides parents with an explanation of the curriculum used at the school, the assessments used to measure student progress, and the proficiency levels students are expected to meet.
o During various parent meetings such as SSC, SGT, ELAC and Correia Association, parent tours, informational meetings, principal chats and individualized parent meetings, we discuss curriculum and student progress. We distribute student progress reports every six weeks in order to inform parents of their student’s progress towards academic achievement. We also encourage parents to sign up for PowerSchool so they can have timely feedback regarding their child’s academic progress.
· If requested by parents, the school provides opportunities for regular meetings that allow the parents to participate in decisions relating to the education of their children.
o Correia Middle supports students and parents by providing individualized meetings by request such as:
§ Parent/Teacher conferences;
§ Student Study Team Meetings;
§ 504 meetings;
§ Individualized Educational Plan
Correia Middle Schoolengages parents in meaningful interactions with the school. The Compact supports a partnership among staff, parents, and the community to improve student academic achievement. To help reach these goals, the school has established the following practices:
The school provides parents with assistance in understanding the state’s academic content standards, assessments, and how to monitor and improve the achievement of their children.
It addresses the following legally required items, as well as other items suggested by parents.
- The school’s responsibility to provide high-quality curriculum and instruction
- The ways parents will be responsible for supporting their children’s learning
- The importance of ongoing communication between parents and teachers through, at a minimum, annual parent-teacher conferences; frequent reports on student progress; access to staff; opportunities for parents to volunteer and participate in their child’s class; and opportunities to observe classroom activities
The school provides parents with materials and training to help them work with their children to improve their children's achievement.To help reach these goals, the school has established the following practices.
· The school provides parents with assistance in understanding the State’s academic content standards, assessments, and how to monitor and improve the achievement of their children. During various parent meetings such as SSC, SGT, Correia Association, principal chats, parent tours, informational meetings, and individualized parent meetings, we discuss curriculum and student progress.
· The school provides parents with materials and training to help them work with their children to improve their children's achievement. We have various tools and materials to support parents to improve their children’s achievement such as:
· PowerSchool access to student records;
· Student planners;
· Daily progress reports (upon request).
· The school educates staff members about the value of parent contributions, and in how to work with parents as equal partners. We encourage having positive relationships with parents in order to best support our students.
· Staff members are committed to returning phone calls and emails in a timely fashion;
· We encourage parent volunteers;
· We use digital tools to provide timely feedback regarding student progress.
· The school coordinates and integrates the parental involvement program with other programs, and conducts other activities, such as parent resource centers, to encourage and support parents in more fully participating in the education of their children. We have various opportunities that we promote to support our parents such as:
· Parent Tours;
· New Student Orientation Meetings;
· Principal chats;
· Informational sessions will be offered for parents throughout the school year in conjunction with the Point Loma cluster schools on a variety of technical and instructional topics.
· The school distributes information related to school and parent programs, meetings, and other activities to parents in a format and language that the parents understand.
· We distribute materials in English and Spanish. We also distribute materials in other languages upon request;
· We provide translators at individualized meetings as necessary.
· The school provides support for parental involvement activities requested by parents. If parents are unaware of programs or support that we offer, we will provide them with the needed information. We believe we provide information in a number of ways so parents can learn about all the opportunities we provide for our families and students.
Correia Middle Schoolprovides opportunities for the participation of all parents, including parents with limited English proficiency, parents with disabilities, and parents of migratory students. Information and school reports are provided in a format and language that parents understand.
· We provide materials in both English and Spanish. We also provide materials in languages other than English/Spanish upon request;
· We provide translators at all parent meetings in order to provide access to all parents;
· We provide translators at individualized meetings as necessary.
This policy was adopted by Correia Middle School on October 2, 2019 and will be in effect for the period of 2019-2020 school year.
The school will distribute the policy to all parents of students on, or before: September 26, 2019.