FOR 2020 SPRING, DUE TO THE COVID-19 CRISIS AND SCHOOL SHUTDOWN, ALL INTENSHIPS HAD TO BE SUSPENDED FOR THE DURATION OF THIS SCHOOL YEAR. STUDENTS PARTICIPATING IN THE INTERN PROGRAM SHOULD CHECK THEIR EMAILS FOR DIRECT COMMUNICATION FROM THEIR INSTRUCTOR FOR ALTERNATIVE ONLINE ASSIGNMENTS TO COMPLETE THEIR INTERNSHIP CLASS CREDIT. WE HOPE TO RESUME OUR IN-PERSON INTERN PROGRAM IN THE FALL.
CHS Internship Program Fast Facts for 2020
CHS is connecting local companies and organizations to the bright minds of the future workforce right now! We have 30 senior high school student interns available for Fall Semester 2019 placement. Read more below!
- To learn more: Internship Program Overview Clairemont High 2020
- To request an intern now: Intern Request Form for Spring 2020
- To preview all program forms and paperwork: CHS Internship Handbook 2019-20
- To preview the presentation for new intern supervisors: CHS Intern Program Orientation PowerPoint
- To preview the course interns take as part of the intern program: Internship Course Syllabus Fall 2019
- To preview the Parent Overview Orientation of the Intern Program: Parent Intern Orientation 2019
- To preview an overview of the program, course, and FAQs from a student perspective: Internship Course Info Presentation for Class of 2019
12th grade Academy students in good academic standing have the opportunity to participate in a field internship as part of the Experiential Work Experience Elective course, taught by a CHS teacher, in their final year at Clairemont High. During first or second semester, students take the internship course during their 3rd period and are also auto assigned a 4th period Home Period (last period of the day) which enables them to leave campus and apply their skills in an off-campus professional industry setting a few days per week as early as 10:30 am. Internships are a minimum of 7.5 hours hours per week for 10-12 weeks (but many interns are able to work up to 16 hours per week). Interns are supported throughout the program by their instructor and are graded on hours worked, reflections, and most importantly, evaluations by their supervisors. Internships are typically unpaid, though sometimes, paid internships may be available.
Student Intern Qualifications:
The CHS Academy students have taken a sequence of three or more courses for their chosen industry pathway in business, engineering, medical sciences or information technology. Students are also trained in Microsoft applications (Excel, Word, Publisher, and PowerPoint), Google applications (Google searches, Google Drive, Google Calendar, etc.) and social media. In addition, students had extensive hands-on training in essential workplace soft skills such as: communication, collaboration, teamwork, analysis/ solution mindset, entrepreneurial mindset, self-awareness, resilience, adaptability and workplace professionalism.
Internship Placements & Partnerships
CHS student interns can be placed into their field internships in one of two ways: (1) A student can seek out his or her own internship and apply, provided that the company or organization meets our criteria and registers with CHS to complete all necessary paperwork to host an intern. (2) A student can also choose to interview for an internship with one of our industry or community partners who requests an intern. In this case, students will participate in an on-campus interview fair arranged by CHS.
Intern Placement Details for 2019-20 School Year:
- Intern Request Form Application Window: Sept 6 - Sept 25, 2019 (Fall) | Jan 27 - Feb 27, 2020 (Spring)
- Internship Duration: 10-12 weeks
- Intern Start Date: Oct 9, 2019 (Fall) | March 11, 2020 (Spring)
- Intern End Date: Jan 17, 2019 (Fall) | May 29, 2020 (Spring)
- Intern Availability: Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday (depending on student schedule), starting at (usually) 11:00 am - 2:30 pm. Intern end work time varies and is dependent upon site location, transportation time, and student’s afternoon school schedule.
- Intern Weekly Hours: Ideally interns will work 7.5 - 12 hours per week
- Transportation: Students drive or take bus. (MTS transit passes provided by district for students.)
- Liability: Workers’ Compensation covered by school district for all unpaid internships
- Evaluation: Interns are monitored weekly by instructor, then they are evaluated by site internship supervisor
Steps to Host an Intern for 2019-20 School Year:
STEP 1: COMPLETE ONLINE REQUEST FORM
- Fill out and return the online Intern Request Form by Sept 25, 2019 for Fall placements
- Attend the Intern Supervisor Orientation & Intern Interview Fair on September 27 from 10 am - 2:30 pm at Clairemont High
STEP 2. CHECK INTERNSHIP PROGRAM DETAILS
- If you haven’t already, please take a moment to look over our Internship Program Fast Facts as PDF and also explore the info below to verify that the times and goals of this internship program fit with your company’s needs. You can preview some of the materials such as our Internship Supervisors’ Handbook and Training Presentation.
STEP 3. SCHEDULE PHONE/ FACE-TO-FACE CONFERENCE (NEW INTERN SUPERVISORS ONLY)
- Are you new to the CHS Internship Program? If so, prior to making a final determination if we can place an intern at your site, please contact Program Coordinator Liz Rush at firstname.lastname@example.org to set up a telephone interview or face-to-face appointment, so we can learn more about about your internship position, company, and work environment.
- Are you a returning Intern Supervisor from previous years? If so, you may skip this step.
STEP 4. INTERNSHIP SUPERVISOR ORIENTATION AND INTERVIEW FAIR
- Clairemont High requires all intern supervisors to attend an important orientation session which will provide program guideline information and explain the required paperwork to host a student intern.
- During the weeks leading up to the orientation, we will ask students to send resumes to the intern supervisors with whom they wish to interview. Then, we encourage supervisors to conduct formal interviews by either scheduling individual interviews, or attending our pre-organized CHS Internship Interview Fair
- The Orientation and Interview Fair will take place on September 27, 2019 from 9:30 am - 2:30 pm at Clairemont High. If there is a critical conflict, please contact Program Coordinator Liz Rush at email@example.com to set up an alternative option.
- This event is a perfect opportunity for intern supervisors to schedule interviews with two or more of our student intern applicants. ***Note: Supervisors who hosted an intern in the Fall semester and are continuing into Spring, may choose to opt out of interviews.
STEP 5: INTERNSHIP PLACEMENT
- Based on interview feedback, CHS will place interns in the days following the Internship Interview Fair. It is our goal to have all student interns placed and ready to begin working at their site by OCTOBER 9, 2019 (FOR FALL). We encourage supervisors to use the first day of the internship for student intern paperwork, orientation, and training.
For questions, please contact Internship Program Coordinator Liz Rush at firstname.lastname@example.org