Carson Elementary School
At times it may be necessary to take immediate action to benefit all students. The following behavior will not be allowed and may lead to immediate suspension, as stated in the San Diego Unified School District Discipline Policy:
- Defiance of authority
- Deliberate classroom disruption or verbal abuse
- Fighting anywhere on school grounds or surrounding areas (severe fights may be cause for expulsion)
- Weapons--possession of any item including firearms, knives, or other dangerous objects which could cause injury to another. (This may lead to expulsion.
- To provide a safe, effective learning environment, Carson adheres to the district's student discipline policies. To learn more, visit the district's Student Discipline Policies page.
WHEN RULES ARE BROKEN:
The Role of the Classroom Teacher:
- When a problem occurs in the classroom, the teacher will use various techniques of established classroom expectations to resolve the problem.
- When a problem occurs outside the classroom the student will be given a "Warning" for the misbehavior and will be redirected to make an appropriate behavior choice. If student continues to make poor behavior choices a referral will be written and the student will be sent to the office.
- For continued misbehavior and/or repeated warnings, the student will be given a referral slip. The teacher/administration/school counselor will contact the parents to alert them and offer suggestions and procedures to resolve the problem. In support of the school wide discipline plan, it is the responsibility of the parents to discuss the misbehavior with the student. A copy of the referral will be filed in the students school file.
- For severe, persistent misbehavior, the student will be referred to the district counselor and/or principal for in-school suspension and or suspension at home.
The Role of the Principal:
In emergencies and/ or when classroom interventions have not proven successful:
- The principal will discipline students and provide firm guidelines for future appropriate behavior.
- Parents will be contacted by telephone or letter when students are referred to the principal.
- When appropriate, the principal will arrange a conference with the parent, child, teacher, and counselor. At this meeting a plan will be developed and agreed upon to change the inappropriate behavior.
Other Actions That May Be Taken If Improvement Does Not Occur
- Denial of special privileges, assemblies, or free time
- Referral to the District Counselor
- Parent Conference/Home Visit
- Parents may be requested to shadow their child (accompany him/or her to class)
- Referral to community agencies
- Student placed on “Independent Home-Study Contract”
- Depending on student’s need other options may be explored
GENERAL SCHOOL RULES:
- Arrive before 7:45 a.m. Unless student is enrolled in before and after school care.
- Only student and parent breakfast helpers should be in the classrooms before 7:45am. All other students and parents will wait on the playground for the start bell.
- Walk. Walk your bicycle, too. No running, racing, chasing, and playing tag.
- Keep your hands to yourself
- No scooters, skate boards or roller skates are allowed on campus at any time.
- Walk quietly in your line at all times.
- When the Monday Morning Pledge starts please stop, look towards the flag, stop talking and participate.
- Use the restroom and get a drink before the grade level whistle blows.
- Follow the rules for games. * Accept the decision of those in line when there is a disagreement or ask for a games leader or an adult help.
- Keep your hands to yourself.
- When the bell rings, freeze and wait for the release whistle and walk to your line.
Lunch Arbor Rules
- Wait quietly in line.
- Sit while eating and until excused.
- Respect others and their things.
- Clean your area.
- Wait to be excused by a supervising adult.
- Enter quietly – use an indoor voice at all times.
- Close stall door quietly, attend to your needs, respecting others’ privacy.
- Wash your hands every time, using soap dispensers and hand dryers gently, pushing only one time.
- Throw trash in wastebaskets.
- Exit quietly.
- Report any concerns to an adult on the playground.