Dear Parents and Guardians,
Welcome back! I hope you all had a restful summer vacation. I am very excited to be back at work and look forward to getting to know my new students and their families. My name is Katie Finlay, and I am very happy to be your child’s teacher this year. I have 12 years of teaching experience with San Diego Unified. I am a passionate, hard-working teacher. I am also a parent, and I understand the impact that school has on children. I am committed to making this year successful.
First, I would like to establish the lines of communication between us. The best way to communicate with me is via email. My email address is email@example.com. I check my email regularly.
Secondly, it is vital that your child be present daily at school in order to learn the grade level standards needed to be successful. Thank you for bringing your child to school daily.
Thirdly, let’s work together to make sure your child behaves appropriately at school so he/she can maximize learning. Below you will find The Angier Way, the school-wide behavior plan. Please discuss the importance of these rules with your son or daughter.
1. Honor Self: Behave in ways that will make you and your family proud. Raise your hand and wait to be called. Do your best at all times. Complete assignments on time. Use words in ways that will make you and your family proud.
2. Honor Others: Stay in your assigned area. Maintain your own personal space. Accept others as they are. Appreciate other people’s differences. Respect others’ opinions. Use good manners (please/thank you).
3. Honor School Environment: Return items to where they belong. Recycle paper. Use classroom materials properly. Keep chair legs on the floor. Share classroom materials with others.
4. Honor Achievement: Demonstrate academic achievement. Complete any missing assignments. Set goals for achievement. Do your own work.
5. Honor Peace: Stay positive. Be trustworthy. Make good choices.
And lastly, please work with your child to ensure that homework is completed. Homework will be assigned daily, and students are responsible for writing the assignments in their agendas. Please check and sign your child’s agenda daily and help him/her complete the homework.
This will be an exciting year full of many learning opportunities. Thank you in advance for supporting your child’s success in school. I look forward to meeting you in person.
Katie Finlay, 5th Grade Teacher