The following are specific exceptions to the prohibition on fees, charges and deposits at the kindergarten through 12th grade level. These fees, charges and deposits are legally permissible because they are specifically permitted bylaw.
1) Charges for optional attendance as a spectator at a school or District sponsored activity.
2) Charges for food served to students, subject to free and reduced price meal program eligibility and other restrictions specified in law.
3) Paying the replacement cost for District books or supplies loaned to a student that the student fails to return or that is willfully cut, defaced or otherwise injured, up to an amount not to exceed $10,000.
4) Fees for field trips and excursions in connection with courses of instruction or school related social,educational, cultural, athletic, or school band activities, as long as no student is prevented from making the field trip or excursion because of lack of sufficient funds.
5) Medical or hospital insurance for field trips that is made available by the school district.
6) Charges for required medical and accident insurance for athletic team members, so long as there is a waiver for financial hardship.
7) Charges for standardized physical education attire of a particular color and design, but the school may not mandate that the attire be purchased from the school and no physical education grade of a student may be impacted based on the failure to wear standardized apparel.