The business allowed to operate at this time are (in some cases for curbside pick up only): Grocery stores, Restaurants with drive thru/to-go/curb-side pick up, Pharmacies, Banks, Laundromats, Gas stations, Nursing Homes, Automobile repair/service, Real estate offices, Healthcare providers, Bookstores, Clothing stores, Toy stores, Florists and the manufacturers that supply them. These businesses have been directed to follow additional safety and hygiene protocols.


During Phase 2 offices buildings, dine-in restaurants, shopping malls and entertainment venues are not allowed to reopen. 





  1. Print an application for a work permit (Form CDE B1-1). Link available in the menu on the left. File is in PDF format.
  2. Complete the form and have your parent/guardian & employer sign and date their section. It is mandatory to provide the social security number and not optional. 
  3. Scan the completed application (Form CDE B1-1) and a picture of your ID to the following email address: dmarino@sandi.net.
  4. Check your email address in 24 to 48 hours for a copy of your work permit that can be printed and taken to your employer. You may begin working immediately. 

The official work permit will be sent to your employer by US Mail addressed to the manager. If you have questions or concerns you may email dmarino@sandi.net for assistance. 

All minors under age 18 (including minors employed by parents) must have a work permit. Minors who have high school diplomas, have passed the state proficiency examination or are performing certain types of employment are exempt from this requirement (see below).

Minors must meet mandatory school attendance laws and academic requirements in order to obtain work permits. Schools have the legal right to restrict or reduce the type of employment and/or the hours of work if evidence is shown that the schoolwork or health of the minor is being impaired by the employment.


  • Minors who have high school diplomas or passed the state proficiency examination
  • Employment type:
    • Private homes doing occasional odd jobs
    • Sale or delivery of newspaper, if self-employed
    • Self-employment
    • Agricultural or domestic work on property owned, operated, or controlled by minor's parents

Work Permits Must

    • Be renewed at the start of each new school year or when the student obtains a new job.
    • Be kept on file at the minor's work site.

Workers’ Compensation Insurance

All minors must be covered by Workers’ Compensation Insurance, including minors employed by parents and minors employed by businesses operating from a private residence.

Hours Minors Are Allowed to Work

Ages 16-17

School in Session
  • 4 hours maximum per day Monday-Thursday.
  • 8 hours maximum per day Friday-Sunday.
  • 32 total hours per week
  • 5 a.m. to 10 p.m.
  • 5 a.m. to 12:30 a.m. if no school next day
School in Session, Student Enrolled in Work Experience Education
  • 8 hours maximum per day
  • 48 total hours per week
  • 5 a.m. to 12:30 a.m. any day of the week
  • 8 hours maximum per day
  • 48 total hours per week
  • 5 a.m. to 12:30 a.m. any day of the week

Ages 14-15

School in Session
  • 3 hours maximum per day Mon.-Fri.
  • 8 hours maximum per day Sat.-Sun.
  • 18 total hours per week
  • 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
  • 8 hours maximum per day
  • 40 total hours per week
  • 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. any day of the week (summer hours 6/1 through Labor Day 7 a.m. to 9 p.m.)

Ages 12-13

All Year

Prohibited in firms subject to Fair Labor Standards Act. For further information contact:
Federal Wage and Hour Office
(619) 557-5110

Under Age 12

Prohibited except in entertainment industry. For entertainment work permits contact:
State Industrial Welfare Commissioner's Office
(619) 220-5451


  • In most cases, a minor must be paid the minimum wage.
  • If an employee works a split shift, he/she must be paid one extra hour at the minimum wage.
  • If an employee reports to work but is not given work and is sent home, the employee is owed a minimum of 2 hours of pay.
  • If an employee is asked not to clock in, the employee is free to leave and cannot be required to wait without being paid as he/she is under the direction and control of the employer.

Prohibited Employment

Hazardous Occupations for All Minors — Federal Law

The federal government, under the Fair Labor Standard Act (FLSA), has listed Hazardous Occupations in which minors under the age of 18 years are prohibited from working.

  • Motor vehicle driving on public roads (This does not prohibit a minor from driving on private property e.g. auto dealer lot)
  • Power-driven woodworking machines
  • Exposure to radioactive substances
  • Power-driven hoisting apparatus (Includes automobile hoist, lift truck, fork lift, elevator, crane, derrick, bobcat, etc.)
  • Power-driven metal-forming, punching, & shearing machines (Includes rolling machines, pressing or punching machines, bending machines, etc.)
  • Power-driven bakery machines (Includes dough mixer, batter mixer, bread divider, molding machine, bread slicing and wrapping, cookie or cracker machine.)
  • Power-driven paper-products machines (Includes paper bailers, box crushers, etc.)
  • Power-driven circular saws, band saws, & guillotine shears
  • Roofing operations
  • Excavation operations
  • For a complete list, contact the Federal Wage & Hour Office at (619) 557-5110

Minors Under 18 Years of Age

  • Selling or serving alcoholic beverages
  • Building or construction work of any kind
  • Delivering goods from motor vehicles
  • In the vicinity of moving machinery
  • Hazardous occupations
  • Operating an auto or truck
  • In the vicinity of explosives

Hazardous Occupations for Minors Under 16 Years of Age — California Law

  • In or about a gasoline service station except as cashiers, clerical workers, or merchandise labelers.
  • Public messenger service.
  • In or about dangerous equipment & power driven machinery, aircraft, or vessels.
  • Selling to passing motorists: newspapers, candy, flowers, or other merchandise or commodities.
  • Selling door-to-door unless the following conditions are met:
  1. Minors work in pairs as team;
  2. One adult supervisor for ten or fewer minors;
  3. Within sight or sound of supervisor once every 15 minutes;
  4. Returned to home or rendezvous point daily;
  5. Employer has complied with IWC registration requirements.

Summer Permits

Working minors who have not graduated from high school need work permits for their new jobs, even through the summer months. A work permit is needed for every job.

San Diego Unified School District issues work permits for minors residing within the district boundaries and enrolled in district schools. During non-school periods (summer and spring break), minors may have their work permits issued by the Work Permit Office (instead of their school) at 2441 Cardinal Lane, Building E, San Diego, CA 92123. (858) 503-1750

Work permit applications are available at six High School Sites open for summer school during Summer School hours. The applications are also available at the Work Permit Office, located at 2441 Cardinal Lane, Building E, San Diego, CA 92123, (858) 503-1750, and at the Board of Education Information Desk (4100 Normal Street, San Diego, CA 92103).

Minors must have their employer complete the employer portion of the work permit application, obtain their parent or guardian’s signature and take the completed application with proof of their age to the Work Permit Office Monday-Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Upon review of the information for compliance with child labor laws and verification of the minor’s age, the work permit will be issued and the minor should take the work permit to his/her employer.

Work permits expire one week after school starts and minors who are still working must renew their work permit through their school.


College, Career & Technical Education — Work Permit Office
2441 Cardinal Lane, Building E 
San Diego, CA 92123.

(858) 503-1750