Business group salutes 120 SD Unified Schools
A national business group that identifies top-performing schools has placed 120 of San Diego Unified's schools on its California Honor Roll lists.
The Educational Results Partnership and the Campaign for Business and Education Excellence partners with leaders in the business community in a shared mission to ensure all students are prepared to success in college and career, saluting 1,714 schools in California.
"The American education system has a secret,” said Jim Lanich, Educational Results Partnership president and CEO. "Many schools are doing well and the Honor Roll proves it. Students are achieving at higher levels than anyone admits and more students than ever are succeeding when given the opportunity. All schools, no matter what zip code they are in, can achieve this kind of success. Leadership from the business community is critical to ensuring successes for all students.”
According to the Campaign for Business and Education Excellence, the Honor Roll School program identifies and recognizes higher performing schools California, particularly higher poverty schools that are closing achievement gaps and those with a focus on STEM proficiency. The Star Honor Roll is the only school recognition program in the state using only student achievement outcomes as the criteria and is a growing resource for all schools to learn about best practices that increase student achievement. The organization utilizes data from the non-profit Educational Results Partnership, the largest longitudinally-linked, actionable school data system in the country.
Three Honor Rolls for 2015 are: the Star Honor Roll, made up of schools with high poverty rates but are, high performing, achievement-gap closing schools; Scholar Honor Roll schools, that are high-performing schools without significant levels of low-income students; and STEM Honor Roll schools, with higher poverty rates yet having high performance in math and science. The announcement of the latest winners was made May 20.
2015 Star Honor Roll Schools
- High Schools: Henry, Kearny SCT; Kearny International Business, Mira Mesa, University City.
- Middle Schools: Correia, Challenger, Dana, De Portola, Innovation, Lewis, Pershing, Standley, Wangenheim.
- K-8 Schools: Bethune, Language Academy, Longfellow.
- Elementary Schools: Alcott, Angier, Barnard, Bay Park, Birney, Cabrillo, Cadman, Chesterton, Crown Point, Cubberley, Dewey, Ericson, Fletcher, Foster, Gage, Green, Hage, Hancock, Hardy, Hickman, Jones, Lindbergh/Schweitzer, Loma Portal, McKinley, Mason, Miller, Normal Heights, Nye, Oak Park, Ocean Beach, Pacific Beach, Paradise Hills, Perry, Sandburg, Spreckels, Tierrasanta, Toler, Vista Grande, Zamorano.
- Charter Schools: Preuss UCSD
Scholar Honor Roll Schools
- High Schools: La Jolla
- Atypical Schools: Mt. Everest Academy
- Elementary Schools: Bird Rock, Curie, Dingeman, Holmes, Jerabek, La Jolla, E.B. Scripps, Silver Gate, Sunset View, Torrey Pines.
STEM Honor Roll
- Elementary Schools: Alcott, Chesterton, Fletcher, Green, Pacific Beach, Ericson, Hickman, Sandburg, Tierrasanta.
- Middle School: De Portola,