San Diego Unified School District's Sexual Health Education Program is funded by a cooperative agreement with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's Division of Adolescent and School Health (CDC DASH). Our education and prevention strageties are researched-based and aim to increase the health, academic success, and overall well-being of our students. Comprehensive sexual health education is implemented in grades 6, 8, and high school. All curricula follows CA Education Code requirements, including new topics required by the CA Healthy Youth Act.
Sexual health education aims to prevent teenage pregnancy and sexually transmitted disease as well as assist students with developing interpersonal skills, responsible behavior, and goal setting. The curriculum emphasizes decision-making and refusal skills, identifying healthy and unhealthy relationships, and communicating with trusted adults about sexual health. The program also provides schools and students with information regarding safe and legal access to sexual health services, supports for LGBTQ-inclusive environments, and additional interventions for schools with higher percentages of students at risk for HIV/STDs and unplanned pregnancies. A Sexual Health Education Advisory Committee (SHEAC) is in place to review all lessons and materials used in the classroom.
Primary Program Goals
- Deliver accurate sexual health information to all district students in grades 6-12 to promote healthy behaviors and healthy attitudes towards sexuality.
- Increase access for students to local youth-friendly sexual health service agencies.
- Facilitate safe and supportive campus environments for LGBTQ students.
- Implement surveillance programs to collect health data that informs district, state, and national programming.
- Promote long-term goal setting, healthy decision making, and responsible behavior among our students.
- Sexual Health Education Program Fact Sheet
- Curriculum Scope and Sequence
- CDC's Division of Adolescent and School Health
- CDC Report on HIV Among Youth in the US
- American Teens' Sexual and Reproductive Health
4100 Normal Street, Room 2155
San Diego, CA 92103
Resource Teacher / Program Coordinator
Materials and Training Information