San Diego Unified School District's Sexual Health Education Program is funded by a cooperative agreement with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's Division of Adolescent and School Health (CDC DASH). Our education and prevention strageties are researched-based and aim to increase the health, academic success, and overall well-being of our students.
Comprehensive sexual health education programs are implemented in grades 6, 8 and 10. Additional HIV prevention lessons are taught in grades 9, 11 and 12. All programs follow CA Education Code requirements, and curriculum is currently being revised to incorporate new topics required by the CA Healthy Youth Act.
Sexual health education aims to prevent teenage pregnancy and sexually transmitted disease as well as assist students with developing interpersonal skills, responsible behavior, and goal setting. The curriculum emphasizes decision-making and refusal skills, identifying healthy and unhealthy relationships, and communicating with trusted adults about sexual health. The program also provides schools and students with information regarding safe and legal access to sexual health services, supports for LGBTQ-inclusive environments, and additional interventions for schools with higher percentages of students at risk for HIV/STDs and unplanned pregnancies. A Sexual Health Education Advisory Committee (SHEAC) is in place to review all lessons and materials used in the classroom.
Primary Program Goals
- Deliver accurate sexual health information to all district students in grades 6-12 to promote healthy behaviors and healthy attitudes towards sexuality.
- Increase access for students to local youth-friendly sexual health service agencies.
- Facilitate safe and supportive campus environments for LGBTQ students.
- Implement surveillance programs to collect health data that informs district, state, and national programming.
- Promote long-term goal setting, healthy decision making, and responsible behavior among our students.
- Curriculum Scope and Sequence
- Grade 6 – Family Life (10 lessons)
- Grade 8 – Rights, Respect, Responsibility (10 lessons)
- Grade 9 – HIV Prevention (1 lesson)
- Grade 10 – Drawing the Line (10 lessons)
- Grade 11 – HIV Prevention (1 lesson)
- Grade 12 – HIV Prevention (1 lesson)
4100 Normal Street, Room 2155
San Diego, CA 92103
Resource Teacher / Program Coordinator
Materials and Training Information